Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pulled Pork

Options
tim665214
tim665214 Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I put my first Pork Butt on last night around midnight.  Slept on the couch next to my back door.  I kept waking up every couple of hours to check on temperature.  (Not sure why, even though it was around 30 at my house last night, the egg stayed within 5 degrees of 225 grate temperature all night according to my Maverick dual probe)

Well anyway after about 9 hours it looks like I have hit a brick wall at 160 degrees for the butt.  (It has actually DROPPED 2 degrees since I have been typing this).  I have read on this forum about the plateau, so hopefully this is it.  (Is it normal for the temp to actually drop?)

I am sure this is from lack of sleep.   :-*

(But just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me)

Hopefully someone here can re-assure me that everything is ok.

Thanks from a new owner

Tim

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    2 degree drop is no big deal and is totally normal. Sometimes it will drop a few degrees and sometimes it wont. Nothing to worry about.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    Tim

What you are seeing is normal, you are in the plateau and it will take hours to get thru.  Be patient and all will turn out well.  Yes the meat temp can drop but not to worry, just keep your dome/grate temp steady at 250'/225'.

Bob
  • grillinmike
    Options

my first last night too. on @9pm 250 grate temp with digiq held all night. 9:30am temp @ grate started to drop

had to clean holes in grate temp came right back.

• paulheels
    Options
    patience, patience, patience.  no matter how long it takes, just wait til the internal is at 195.  if you bunmp up the temp to 275, you will get the same results as 225 but with quicker time.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.