Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlyle
Carlyle Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This coming Sunday I will be barbecuing 4 whole racks of baby back ribs (each cut in half). I have the marinade, rub, mop suace and bbq sauce all picked out but I have a question about how long they will take to cook.[p]I have read numerous recipes and nearly all give different temperatures and times that it takes to cook the ribs. I plan on using a plate setter with the indirect method at 200 - 225 degrees. I will be using a rib rack and a drip pan with apple cider in it.[p]I just need an apporximate time that it will take, say within a half hour or so, if it is possible to time it that close.[p]Much thanks.[p]Carlyle [p]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Carlyle,[p]better plan on +/-5 hours, based on grid level temps...[p]if you are gonna base you time frame on if you want to serve them at a specific time, then get an early start.[p]if you want to pull them when they're ready, then company will just have to have another beer as they enjoy the afternoon.... what bbq should really be about

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Carlyle,
    Sounds right to me!! Last time I did 4 full racks, it took about 5 hours too.[p]mule

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I would kick the temp up to about 235 and plan on 5 hours.[p]Toy Man
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Carlyle,[p]Just curious.... what do you have in mind for the marinade?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carlyle
    Carlyle Posts: 7
    thirdeye,
    For the marinade I'll be using plain old apple sider. The rub was developed by Steven Raichlen. He calls it magic dust and it consists of paprika, brown sugar, black pepper, chile powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, celery salt, sea salt and cayenne pepper.[p]I will be spraying apple cider on the ribs every 30 minutes and using apple chips for the smoke.[p]During the last 30 minutes of cooking I will start applying the BBQ sauce. It is made with ketchup, applesauce,, cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke brown sugar, garlic powder, white pepper, fresh ginger, apples, onion and jalapeno pepper.[p]Never tried these recipes before. This will be a firt for me. I've done Ribs in my BGE before but cooked them at ab out 300 - 350 and they were done in about 2 hours.[p]Carlyle

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Carlyle,
    I did some babybacks Sunday. Rubbed and cooked them indirect at a steady, guru-maintained 250 for 3.5. Basted them with a mix of apple cider, maple syrup and just a wee bit of smokey bones sauce and cooked direct for about 1/2 hour. Nice and tender.

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Carlyle,[p]The time depends on your method. Personally, I slow cook ribs for at least 5 hours. My personal goal is to reach a consistency where the meat pulls cleanly away from the bone when you bite into it, (as opposed to "falling off the bone/mushy).[p]On occassions where timing for dinner is everything, I wrap the ribs in plastic wrap, then foil and wrap in a warm towel. Just before I want to serve them, I put them back on in the egg to re-heat and add a slight "char" to the ribs. Generally at around 500 degress)[p]They don't last too long after that![p]-Tom