Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump Charcoal

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is this really as good as the big green egg charcoal? Will it last as long? 

Comments

• It is the same stuff, just a different bag. I called the Main RO office in Georgia and confirmed it.
  • Cullum
    Thanks. I tried Walmart Super Center but they didn't have it. I'll keep looking for it. Is it a lot cheaper than Big Green Egg charcoal?
  • It is alot cheaper than BGE brand. The RO main office also said that they make the Kroger, Target, and Publix brand charcoal. I bought some Kroger brand for $4.99 for a 8.8 lb. bag last week. I haven't opened it yet so I don't know how it compares to BGE in respect to lump size, etc but I expect it to be similar.
  • Cullum
    Thanks for in the info. Have you used the RO itself? Let me know how the Kroger one works.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    FWIW-I have been using the Kroger version of RO for the better part of the past year.  Largest lump size may be a bit smaller than the BGE version in part due to the 8.8 vs 20 lb bag size, but not enough to be an issue.  Does well with long duration low&slows (LBGE and have loaded into the fire ring and sustained 22+ hr cooks (250*F or so on the dome) with plenty left over).  No issues but then I'm not into over-analyzing lump performance either.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cullum
    That's awesome. I don't have a Kroger here but I'm going to try to find the RO and use it. Thanks for the info. I was interested to see if the RO will last on a low and slow cook. Sounds like it will. 
  • I have used the RO for some time now.  I like it because it is cheap and the smaller bags are easier to handle.  Having said that, the lump from BGE does have bigger pieces.  In fact, I just smoked 2 butts for 13 hours (my first overnight) and thought I would sort my lump to be sure the larger pieces were on the bottom.  I had 1/2 of one RO bag and a brand new RO bag.  I was shocked that there was nothing for me to sort.  All pieces were small.  I had a hard time keeping the fire going and, while it did last 13 hours, there was nothing left.  Despite this, I bought 2 RO bags today.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I bought 40 lbs of RO today from WW. It was my first time using it tonight. I used it on a quick cook for burgers and ABTs. I think the pieces of lump were a nice size. They lit well and got to 700 by the time I went inside to grab burgers and get back out there. Obviously, I lowered the temp and after the cook barely any lump was used. $6.49 for 10 lbs. I think I will be buying RO going forward.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Just found out that my local WW is supplying the RO again. I just bought 7 bags of it and will probably go back for more before they decide not to sell it.

• I live in Michigan and cannot find RO anywhere.
  • Wally World...Walmart.

It's probabaly a seasonal item up your way.
  • walmart commerce and south lyon in michigan has ro
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have an A&P supermarket, Northeast that had 18lb bags of RO.  
  • American made Royal Oak (not South American RO) for me is the gold standard lump that I can buy locally.  It carries an above average rating on the Whiz's lump database.  It burns hot and lasts long enough for all my long cooks.  It is reasonably priced and available at Wal-Mart.  I can count on consistency in terms of piece size with limited dust and chips.

I can pay more for "boutique" charcoal shipped to my door, but I just can't find a justification to do that.  RO provides everything I need at a reasonable price point.

I found a local wholesaler that carries RO in the 8.8lb bags for a little less than $6.00 per bag.  That isn't a great price, but I bought 8 bags anyway just so I won't run out before Wal-Mart returns it to their shelves this spring.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    RO green bags are at Menards. $4.50 for 8.8 lbs here in MN

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    well I just moved and wanted to cook on my bge for my new roomies...ran to publix and paid $9.99 for an 8 lb bag of " cowboy " lump......now I know to look for RO lump....thanks
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited February 2012

Is there a difference between RO red bags and green bags?

Publix Greenwise lump (made by RO) 8.8 lb is on sale for $4.99 right now.

• chogg
    thanks....King
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • @chogg

Re: publix lump - sale ends today, at least in Atlanta.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Is there a difference between RO red bags and green bags?

Publix Greenwise lump (made by RO) 8.8 lb is on sale for $4.99 right now.

In MN, Walmart has the red bags, Menards has green bags. Other than that, I do not know. Sorry.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• chogg

Thanks... KingRover, just got back from Publix....got a trunk full of Greenwise Lump as we speak...

Live less than a mile to a Publix...

Will try it out this weekend...

May not be able to wait...you know how it goes..

Thanks again,

Hogg

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    If you live in an area with Gordon Food Service store(GFS) their store branded lump is RO and a 20 lb. bag is $12.99.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • One pizza and some ABTs on my first bag of Ro - Seems like I have burned a lot more off than when I used the BGE lump I got with the Egg, even though I used similar levels and 24 hour cooks...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• anybody ever make their own lump? 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Big. Green. Egg. Charcoal. Is. Royal. Oak. Charcoal. In. A. Different. Bag.

virtually no difference. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    RO also makes Best Choice lump, available at IGA stores.  It's about $6.50 for 10lbs.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    There is still IGA's out there.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115

If anyone has an Acadamy Sports, try some BB Lump.  $12.97 / 20lbs.  Smells good, burns good.  Fireman recommended. 

Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    jmsmrdk, I would have no idea where to even begin.  How exactly is it done?