Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon!

YukonBill
YukonBill Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any suggestions/hints/tips/experience for cooking bacon on the BGE? I'm trying to figure out if it's reasonable to cook about two pounds of bacon (thick cut peppered bacon) for a family brunch coming up in a week. I'm curious if anyone has ideas for temp control/cooking as well as the logistics end on the deal, namely how do I arrange 2 lbs of bacon on the BGE. Right now, I'm thinking that I'll just follow more or less the same procedure I'd use if I was making it in the oven. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bill,

Raised indirect produces amazing bacon and pig candy. Use a drip pan. You would probably get a little over a pound of thick sliced at a time or all of it if you can get a second grid

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    IMO (lot's will disagree)  I would not just cook 2 lbs of bacon in my egg. That said I do it all the time wrapped about peppers, chicken, sausage, etc..... But to just cook 2 lbs I can see a grease fire  or  lots of greese somewhere.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012
    Little Steven I did not think of that. A cook I have not done but really want to. So it is done all the time that way... Please toss my post above.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey,

I don't know what others do. I really like the way it crisps the bacon without it frying in it's rendered fat. My daughter has me making pig candy all the time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I do it raised direct around 300....with a drip pan for sure. Like LS says, nice crisp bacon without frying it.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I'm having another senior moment - how do you cook direct with a drip pan? I just finished making bacon and I would like to do it on the egg instead of the gasser.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Ok....not technically direct I guess because of the drip pan, but i use no stone/plate setter to deflect/absorb heat. I go BGE grid on top of adjustable rig with the pan on the level below it.
  • That's what I meant by raised indirect....use a drip pan. Sorry for being unclear

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Thanks, I forgot about that AR thing----I want one too. It's only money.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I go indirect with the placesetter.  Drip pan for sure.  I have a second tier grill I made, I wonder if the grease from one pound can drip down on the lower pound and still cook properly.  Here is a secret, sprinkle your bacon with Pecan rub by john Henry!! soooo good
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    There is a place not far from mine that sells THE best bacon.  It is sold to all the high end restaurants in NY.  If you are interested I could send you some.  It IS smoked.
  • Thanks for all the good info, this board is a fantastic resource. I have an idea of what I plan to do now. I'll send pics of my set up and results when I get that far. On the meantime, I'm definitely still interested in hearing about different approaches others have used.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
     I wonder if the grease from one pound can drip down on the lower pound and still cook properly. 
    Since different people prefer their bacon cooked anywhere from limp to crunchy, this may be a good way to please a crowd... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure