Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking a chicken

Options
rutili
rutili Posts: 25
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,

I am cooking some ribs today - car wash mike's method.  225 degrees for 3 hrs, 250 for 1.5 hrs...

I want to cook a few chickens.  4 lbs each, can I smoke them with the ribs?  How long?

Thank you in advance, I am have a challanging time finding info on the new site format...

Joe

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I smoke the 4lb chickens I get from Costco sometimes.  Be careful with this, if using a strong smoking wood for the ribs, poultry absorbs it pretty well and it might be very smokey when done.  I never went by time, but pulled the chicken when the breast was 165 and dark meat 185 - I think it took 3-4 hours for a 4lber.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I think the temps you're cooking the ribs at is too low for the best results for chicken.  I usually go about 300 for chicken.  Just my opinion.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    You definitely won't get the crispy skin you would if at 350 or so.  
  • Smokey_Pete
    Options
    The texture of the meat and the taste of it came out awful when I tried smoking a chicken at 250.  I ended up throwing it in the garbage.  I only roast chicken at 350-400.  However, I'm open to suggestions if someone can give me a good method for cooking a chicken at low heat.
  • Flamethrower
    Options

need a second egg

LET'S EAT
  • smokinsooner
    Options

i'm with tnbarbq..., perfect temp for ribs... but chickens need to cooked at a higher temp and direct heat if plausible.

i always cooked my birds low and slow... got a rubbery skin. Thanks to the folks on this site, I've moved to a spatchcocked bird, direct at about 350.... turning once.

I have smoked ribs for 6 hours... pulled the plate setter off, kicked up the egg to 350 direct, and had great results in about an 1.5 hours..... good bark, slight smokey flavor and moist inside..

Spatchcocking.........well... it reduces cook time.... you could almost let the ribs rest for an hour and be ready to pull off the birds by carving time.

BOOMER!