Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking first pizza today

Options
tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
After reading several posts on cooking pizza I think I know what I'm doing.  My pizza stone hasn't been used in years, so I put it on the bge and burned what lump was in it to bake off old stains and grease.  I am using the feet from the egg to raise he stone off the platesetter.  I read doing that helps with more even cooking. Anyone agree with that?
I plan on baking the pizza at about 425.  Any suggestions are welcome!
Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    perfect set up... I do cook at 500 though...

Kent Madison MS
  • shoaf79
    Options

I have cooked a few recently between 600-700 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. By far the best pizza I have ever had. I learned the hard way to put the stone in well in advance after the first pizza dough didn't cook properly. I'll have to try using the feet to raise the stone up.......does that really help?

Andy

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    We cook a lot of pizza. I use that exact set up but cook them around 600 degrees. The mistake I made on the first few was not letting the stone get up to temp.  I have also started using the parchment paper method (see BBQMaven above). Much easier and takes one of potential challenges out of the equation. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes it does. It allows the platesetter to block the radiant heat from the lump. The pizza stone will get up to the dome temp and not a lot higher

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sawtooth
    Options
    I am a rookie and baked my first 2 pizzas yesterday for a SB gang. I started with dough bought at Winco in a plastic bag. My wife prepared the pizza with fresh made sauce, add cheese and assorted toppings. I got the fire going put in the platesetter legs up, then the grill w/the pizza stone on top of the griil. Got the dome temp  to 550 put on the 1st pizza and bake it for 20 Min. ( i checked the bottom at 10 min) It turned out very well the topping was done and the bottom was very crisp. The 2nd one I baked the exact same way but for only 15 min and it was completed done but was not quite as crispy on the bottom. Some people like the 1st one better and some liked the 2nd one better but both was by far the best pizza it have ever ate.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I think 600-700F dome temp is too high because we burn the bottoms when we cook that high. Now that was with the stone sitting on the legs down plate setter. So we turned down to 450F dome temp on a hot stone and all was perfect. You can leave the daisy wheel off the top and watch them cook with a flashlight, too.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Is there some special type of parchment paper to use?
    George
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Nope...just regular old parchment paper...NO WAX PAPER PLEASE.
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    If you cook with the legs on the platesetter in the up position, does it decrease the chance of frying your gasket? I really want to get a pizza stone and try cooking one but don't want to burn the gasket.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If you cook with the legs on the platesetter in the up position, does it decrease the chance of frying your gasket? I really want to get a pizza stone and try cooking one but don't want to burn the gasket.
    That's what BGE told me when I talked to them on the phone. Key word is decrease the chance. Original gasket its not very reliable. Legs up worked well for me though.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • jimenezag
    Options
    I made 8 pies on SB Sunday. Had the Egg at around 600 for about 2 hours. Pizzas came out great. The middle batch came out the best (for me) since the crust was nice and crispy but not burned. The last batch started coming out a bit burned on the bottom but most people liked the flavor. It reminded of Old World Pizzerias. My gasket got fried so I just got a new high temp gasket.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    550-600 for me, with plate setter legs down and then the little green feet on the plate setter with the pizza stone on top of that. Depending how thick the pizza toppings are: 12-16 minutes. I spin the pizza around on the stone if I see hot spots on the crust. It truly does taste better than so many of the pizza shops out there. It is fun to do multiples with different toppings. Enjoy your self.
    Large, small, and a mini