Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the best ratio for baby backs (covered vs. uncovered)?

Options
manthe10pt
manthe10pt Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Trying ribs for the second time.  First time I cooked with indirect heat (250 degrees) uncovered for 1.5 hours and then covered for 2.5 hours and uncovered for the final 10 minutes (at around 350) directly on the grate without the place setter.  Is there a better ratio of uncovered to covered?  Or does it really matter?  The first time the ribs were good, but I want them to be great!  Thanks for the input!!!!  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    uncovered indirect for 4-7hours.
  • mazaman
    Options
    My family likes their ribs falling off the bone, so I go with 2-2-1 at 225-250.  I'll cut the last hour short if I think the ribs are done.  I just make sure that I give the glaze 15 minutes.
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    The CWM 3-2-1 method has served me well for ribs. I spritz mine with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and apple juice at about 1 hour intervals during the 3 hour portion and again after unwrapping them for the 1 hour final phase. I do mine at 240 using a guru to control the temp. Glaze in the last 15-30 minutes.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I prefer not to foil my ribs, although I will occasionally for something a little different.  I try to hit 225-235 grate temp.  With those parameters I usually go 4-4.5 hours on back ribs and 6 for spares.  I never open lid until half an hour before expected finish time to check for doneness and adjust cook time from there.  If I do foil I still use the above guesstimate cook times with 2-1-1 for backs and 3-2-1 for spares.  Once you learn what your defiition of "great" is you can tweak your method and timing to achieve what you like.  Patience, timing, and experience is key to the art of q'ing.  I've had my share of home runs and train wrecks as well.  Hopefully your second was better than your first and third will be better than second.  Best of luck!!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    AD18 - are you saucing on the grill?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• bariccardi
    Options
    I usually do 3-1-1 with great results
  • Rhodesdw
    Options
    I like the 3-1-1 (240 degrees ish).  Covered for the middle hour with some beer or apple juice in the tent for steam and flavor.  I often cut the last hour short if the ribs look done.  Lastly i give them a hot blast on the gas grill (dare i say that) where i glaze them with some homemade BBQ sauce.  enjoy
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    MM, yes I do.  That becomes part and parcel of the cook time adjustment.  I try to get the sauce on for a minimum of 15 minutes dependant on how thick the sauce is and it's setup time.  I like my sauce to be sticky or gooie instead of bark like or runnie.  Again, personal preference. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I prefer not to foil my ribs, although I will occasionally for something a little different.  I try to hit 225-235 grate temp.  With those parameters I usually go 4-4.5 hours on back ribs and 6 for spares.  I never open lid until half an hour before expected finish time to check for doneness and adjust cook time from there. ... Best of luck!!!!
    Thanks AD18 -  Gonna try this method next time.  I'll let you know how they turn out.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!