Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To brine or not to brine

Options
bsgator
bsgator Posts: 30
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pork butt tonight for the SB tomorrow. I have a recipe that recommends brining the butt but have not seen much comment about that here? What do you recommend and if you recommend brining do you have a favorite recipe?

Comments

• bsgator
    Options
    Any thoughts on brining?
  • medic119
    Options

I have never brined a pork butt.  I do know that some inject them, but cannot for the life of me remember what the injection is.

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Brining doesn't hurt anything, and will always add a little moisture to the meat, slow the meat from drying out, and infuse a little flavor if certain water soluble herbs or spices are added.

However, fats and connective tissue don't work well with brine. Something low in fat, like a chicken breast, work well with one. Even a ham. A pork butt, not so much. The whole reason to do pork butt lo-n-slo is to break down the connective tissue, and render out the fat, of which they have so much.

An injection late in the cook is worthwhile, but otherwise, just rub it good, and cook till it falls apart.