Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pork butt on the BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    If you cook at cook at 200-225 that means your grid temp is 170-205. It's kind of hard getting meat to 195-200 degrees when it's sitting on a grid at 180. In fact it's impossible.That's why it takes someone(see above) 20 hrs to cook a 7 1/2 lb butt When you read bbq or cooking books and they give a cooking temp the guage on your egg should be 20-25 degrees above that.

I could not agree more.  After struggling to get the but cooked last week it finally occured to me that there was not enough heat at 220 dome temp to finish the cook and bumped the temp to 250..  I used my new Maverick this week with grate sensor so it became very obvious that a dome temp of 250 results in a grate temp of 214-220. 

Alas learning to cook a big peice of pork is a process not an event...

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

bigguy136,

Exactly. With something like a Stoker or BBQ Guru you are programming the temp at the grid. If you're not using one of those you need your dome gauge to be about 25 degrees higher than the desired cooking temp on the grid.

Its true the dome temp is higher then the grid. If you have a BBQ Guru
    you can clip the probe to the stem of your dome thermometer. To me this
    helps to simplify the whole grate versus dome temperature thing since
    most people refer to what they read off the dome thermometer when
    talking about cooking at a certain temperature.
  • SpreadEagleBeagle
    Options
    I don't worry about dome vs grid, 195 vs 205, etc etc.  I rarely use a thermometer at all actually.  I'm cooking--not laying pipe. I've never had an issue with undercooking at 200 degrees.

Sight, smell,  and touch work for me.  In the end...each to his own.  
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I don't worry about dome vs grid, 195 vs 205, etc etc.  I rarely use a thermometer at all actually.  I'm cooking--not laying pipe. I've never had an issue with undercooking at 200 degrees.

Sight, smell,  and touch work for me.  In the end...each to his own.   
    Laying pipe wont give you the oops and poops.  (this is not a quote, I said this, something aint right)
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • paulheels
    Options
    I don't know what happened on the last post.

• SpreadEagleBeagle
    Options
    ummm...I didn't say post that last bit.  Seems there is an impersonator.  Fellow Melvins fan perhaps.  Or somebody with an identity crisis. 
  • paulheels
    Options
    @spread, something happened with the quote and it quoted my statement with yours. My bad.

Paul
  • NightwingXP
    Options

It sounds like you didn't put enough lump in the egg to start with.  I am easily able to go 20-22 hours on one load of lump.  That is more than enough time for me to cook three butts at 250. 
    Hog how full do you fill your egg for this cook? To the top of the fire ring. ( Approx 2" above the holes? )
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    how full do you fill your egg for this cook? To the top of the fire ring. ( Approx 2" above the holes? )
    that's what I do (including the wood chucks).  If it is that full, I make sure that it is not dense packed so that air can get through.  I may even make the very center a little less full so that I know air can come in the middle and find the fire as it migrates outwards.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Nice. Thank you sir. I have had a Char Griller side fire box smoker for 3 years now so just wrapping my head around this beautiful Egg that how sits on my patio
    :x
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!