Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Legs or no legs?

Options
bumpye
bumpye Posts: 15
edited February 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I'm in the process of building a table for my lge BGE. My question is whether or not to use small feet/legs on the bottom. The BGE website shows their tables without feet. The Naked Whiz (whose plans I'm using...thanx NW) shows small feet on the bottom. I know I'll get opinions from both sides, but has any one experienced any problems...i.e. cracked eggs...by NOT using the feet. If I decide to use the feet-where can you buy them?
Thanx

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Options
    The feet should have come with your large BGE (not on the XL).  Ask your dealer for 3 feet.

A couple of years ago, someone posted a picture of his egg table where the Egg had burned through the wood and the Egg fell to the ground.  It's recommended that you not only use the feet, but also put them on fire bricks.  I don't know if all that is necessary, but it's pretty cheap insurance.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I have mine sitting on full fire bricks which are 2 1/2 inches thick. The 2x4s they are sitting on are on end and spaced apart. I also saw this this design on the NW site. With that being said, I have reached under and felt the bricks from the bottom and felt very little heat. So far I feel very safe not using the feet and also feel better having the entire bottom of the egg supported instead of just at three points. If I were only using one regular paver, I would use the feet.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bumpye
    bumpye Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanx for the feed back guys. Now I feel like the "village idiot" for not unpacking my Egg yet to see if the feet are in there. I'll probably end up using them as long as they're there just to be safe along with a paving stone.
  • Don Marco
    Don Marco Posts: 287
    edited February 2012
    Options
    There will be new so called table nests at your egg dealer very soon. They allo enough airflow and distance to the wood so you dont have to use a stone at all.

www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • gdawgs24
    Options
    i have recently just purchased my xl big green egg. my table is in process and will be finished this week. with it being the xl it didnt come with feet any suggestion on what i should put under egg. i see some people with just a 18 x 18 piece of tile. what do you recommend
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    Those table nests above are now available and much nicer than a slab. 

read here for the safest way to do it : 
    Quebec - Canada