Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Lump with Nasties!

mustgrill
mustgrill Posts: 141
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am new to BGE, but not to Q. While lookig to see how much lump I had left after my first butt on a 17 hour cook. Which turned out great. I found some things I have never found in other lumps before. I thought I noticed last night the smell of pine at the lighting. I passed it off as new Egg? After digging around in the left over lump. I found a piece of pine, several pices of melted plastic and a very crisp piece of what looks to be nylon. The 20# bag was a frebee from the seller. I think I may not use BGE lump anymore? Have any of you long term users found things like this? I think I'll just go back to Cowboy and Royal Oak. Also I had a very dense black coating on the underside of my plate setter, black like pine soot. Please send me some of your suggestions?

PS: I am from the South I do know pine when I smell it.

Located in Western North Carolina

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sorry but you will find Royal Oak is BGE Lump and you might want to check out Cowboy as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I always do a quick check of the lump I dump in, if it looks weird, it gets thrown in the woods. i also have an interesting collecction of rocks.

someone posted here a while ago that the bags are usually overweight to cmpensate for the "extra" stuff.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I have been using lump for many years, I have not found this many nasties in Royal Oak or Cowboy. I guess I'll go back to use the Dragons Breath Lump. I have never found these things.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you'll eventually find at least a rock or two in any brand. not that i've tried all brands.  it's just that all the ones i've tried have spit a rock or three at on point.

i'd say you wer justified to be disappointed by your first bag of BGE charcoal.  as someone mentioned, it's royal oak, but royal oak is damn fine.  that much junk is an anomaly.

i did weigh a bag once to find it was 22 pounds, but i don't think they do that because they expect to entrain junk in the bag.  i just think the entire process is rough and ready.  trees are natural products, rocks get picked up by loaders skidding across the ground or whatever, retorts have chunks of concrete that fall off...

it's not that we are getting screwed by being sold products with imperfections, it's more like we are buying something at a decent price which would cost much more if they had to pay someone to pick thru it to guarantee a stone-free bag.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • With all that crap in the bag, I'd contact Royal Oak.  I've never seen anything like you describe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    The rocks don't bother me that much.  Foreign objects like plastic would.  The fumes from cooking plastic can't be good for the food.

You can see some stuff I found in my grill in this thread:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1153619#Comment_1153619

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Thanx for all your advice. I still have more than half a bag of BGE lump. I will look very close. Rock I have found in RO also. But they were small. Nylon is another thing. Again thanx.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Try Wicked Good for your long cooks. It's great and burns forever.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Try Wicked Good for your long cooks. It's great and burns forever.

+1 for wicked good for low and slow. I don't like it that much for really quick, hot cooks though because it feel it takes longer to really get burning to come up to nuke temps.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Royal Oak and Publix brand (also Royal Oak) we have stopped using. We are finding tar balls and other unidentified black objects that smell like burning plastic. These things will still be smoking well after 45 minutes. 
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Tar ball! That's what I found in mine once. Threw it out before starting
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Is there a local north Texas store that sells wicked good?
    Cookin in Texas
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You can order from them directly. I'm in NC and 3 bags shipped to my door are $75 total. 22 pound bags. Not inexpensive but it seems like the best quality to me. They are somewhere in the Northeast if i remember correctly. Give it a try and report back.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • it's a good idea too look through your lump before you light it.  I dump the bag into a big tub and load by the the scoop/hand full from there. i've only found rocks and concrete.
  • And briquette is bad :-)
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Well ... you guys convinced me to look through my lump before putting it in the BGE ... thanks!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    Wicked Good is out of Maine