Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck?

Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I need suggestions on how to roast a duck on the BGE. Some say slit the skin, some don't.  Any duck roasters out there?
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited December 2011

There is a link of a roasted duck on GreenEggers:

Looks like he slit the skin.

Link Here

• Slit the skin with the point of a small sharp knife (I put many small slits in as there is a large amount of fat on a duck), spatchcock, season the cavity, rub with butter, and smoke indirect at 200 for about five hours. Phenomenal!  If you want to get fancy make some sort of fruity sauce with the liver (I make a plum sauce). 

That's for store-bought duck.  Wild game is always leaner and requires a different method but I've never cooked wild duck.
  • Slit the skin with the point of a small sharp knife (I put many small slits in as there is a large amount of fat on a duck), spatchcock, season the cavity, rub with butter, and smoke indirect at 200 for about five hours. Phenomenal!  If you want to get fancy make some sort of fruity sauce with the liver (I make a plum sauce). 

That's for store-bought duck.  Wild game is always leaner and requires a different method but I've never cooked wild duck.
    Is that it? My only attempt at duck was a miserable failure (not on the Egg). I did not think of low and slow as a method, but I'm guessing the fat content makes it good for duck...? What about using a vertical roaster? What is the finished internal temp, and is there a temp plateau like brisket because of all the fat? Sorry about he barrage, but you got me on yet another cooking tangent with this infernal Egg thing. 
  • Ok, got a little ahead of myself,....I read joe@bge post above and looked at the link. A little different, but looks like same results. 
  • I have smoked duck for years in my other smokers. Here is a recipe I have used everytime and it has always done good for me. Store bought duck that is. Wild duck will not work with this method. I will try this on my BGE soon. Here is the recpie. This is so good on the gas smoker the BGE will be a killer on this.
    Located in Western North Carolina