Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grey smoke early in fire

Options
captbunch18
captbunch18 Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
When doing a low and slow...it seems forever before the grey smoke goes away from and turns clear.  I think you are not supposed to cook when the lump is producing grey smoke.  Is there any way to speed it up.  It seems to take more than an hour once the temp reaches 225.  Is that normal?

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    Leave every thing open-The lid and bottom damper open for about 15 min. after getting the lump started. On my XL the smoke starts turning to clear at about 250-300. I did a Spatchcock chicken the other day and today was sausages. It took a little while longer to burn off the chicken fat. Smell the smoke as you go
    LET'S EAT
  • captbunch18
    Options
    ok....but if i dont want to get above 235.....how do i get the smoke clear?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You might switch lump. Are you doing wood?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• captbunch18
    Options
    i am using big green egg lump and lighting it with one square of the big green egg fire starter.  I put the bigger pieces of lump around the fire starter, light it.  leaving everything open.  after 10 minutes or so, the fire starter is gone and i have 5 or 6 pieces of glowing red lump.  I shut the dome, turn on my bbg guru digi q and close the top.  i hit my target temp (235) fairly quickly, but it take forever for the grey smoke to go away. 
  • Flamethrower
    Options

Go to 250-300 get clear and then rmp down the heat,Might take awhil,But not to long

LET'S EAT
  • captbunch18
    Options

Go to 250-300 get clear and then rmp down the heat,Might take awhil,But not to long

ok....so, would it be wise to set the digi q on 275....waiting for clear smoke, then turning it down?  any advice to cool it off.  i have always heard it is easier to ramp up your temp, and hard to cool it off.  tips for cooling it off?
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I use BGE lump and the only dif in us is I use a torch to light (mapp on mini) and I close the lid ASAP opon lighting. Oh, and I just dump the lump in. Are you sure you don't have left over wood in your egg? An hour is a long time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjp1060
    Options
    I agree that it takes a while to cool down a hot egg, but that is usually when the egg has had time to "soak" at that high temp. I believe that if you run the temp up to 300 or 350 for 10 minutes or so, it will cool-off relatively quickly since the structure of the egg hasn't had a chance to come to that higher temp.
  • captbunch18
    Options
    I agree that it takes a while to cool down a hot egg, but that is usually when the egg has had time to "soak" at that high temp. I believe that if you run the temp up to 300 or 350 for 10 minutes or so, it will cool-off relatively quickly since the structure of the egg hasn't had a chance to come to that higher temp.
    thanks.  will try that.  between the grey smoke and all of my liquid in my drip pan evaporating after 8 hours, i am very frustrated.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Why do you have liquid in a drip pan?

• captbunch18
    Options
    the guy where i got it told me to....seems about 50/50 split. 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think you should smell the smoke and not worry so much about the colour, it may well be just steam as the moisture accumulated between cooks evaporates.  In my experience the off smells are gone once your fire is burning nicely, usually only takes 15 to 20 minutes.

Gerhard
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke: if it smells good, it'll taste good
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante