Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg

Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ryan and I seemed to have a little difficulty getting his lid lined up like we wanted yesterday. When we finally got it where I was comfortable with it, he did his first cook. All went fine, but he just called saying that it seems like the gasket sort of cooked together after he shut everything down last night. His temps were not excessive. He said the inner edge of both the top and bottom gaskets is pretty hard and that the gaskets shrunk up to where there is like a 1/4 inch gap between the ends on both the top and bottom. I haven't seen it yet, but since I've never had a "Virgin" Egg...is this common?
Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Fishkiller
    Fishkiller Posts: 42
    Lawn Ranger,
    My gasket did harden on the inside edge (fire side) on the top and bottum after I used it the first time, however, I did TRex a couple of steaks on my first cook. There was and still is @ 1/8" gap between the gasket ends. I don't think it's a big deal, just figured I would need to replace it in a year or so anyway and it doesn't hurt my cooks.
    fishkiller

• Lawn Ranger
    fishkiller,
    Muchos gracias, My Friend. Someone will sleep better knowing this. Hope the tools are serving you well.[p]Mike

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Lawn Ranger,
    inoticed on my last fixer upper, after i cooked, the gasket got kinda hard, so I sprayed it with a little water when it cooled down to rehydrate it and seems to be ok. HTHALITTLE

• Lawn Ranger
    Chef Wil,
    I wonder what would happen if I soaked it with Louisiana Hot Sauce?[p]Hmmmmmm?

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Lawn Ranger,
    It would be moist... and RED>>> Heeeee! Joe[p]Tha handle is on and looking awesome!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!

• 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    fishkiller,[p]Did yours get burned to the point that you could scrap crust off of it?? I could see smoke comeing out in the back by the hinges where the two ends dont completely meet, and the inside edges on top and bottom got pretty black and hard. Am I still ok?
    Thanks,
    Ryan

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    1shot1kill,[p]I had this problem and it actually just makes the gasket fry a little sooner. I got new bands and a new hinge and now it sits right. It sounds like you've got one of the bands (the top) pulled either too tight or too low on the egg, so when you tighten it it's lifting the rear. [p]This was my problem...[p]
  • 1shot1kill
    Mark Backer,
    yes it did lift the rear a bit so Dad and I loosened it up, and that let it back down so that it sat flush all the way around. It also seems like it wants to pull to the left alittle when you close the lid. I cant see that the hinge is bent at all so I dont know what that is about????

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    1shot1kill,[p]my advice is to call the mothership in atlanta. They were great helping me out...[p]
  • 1shot1kill
    Mark Backer,
    Thanks Man, I might have to give that a try.