Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna thin crust crispy pizza?

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been busy making Yaki Gyoza dumplings this week for the Salado eggfest, so my mind is in a Oriental frame.

My wife is on a low carb diet (I shoud be on one, not her), so I thought I'd make a thin crust pizza out of eggroll wrappers.  I put two of them as a base and added the toppings.  Pizzas were great.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    How do you like the Ragu pizza sauce? I have been using the HEB brand stuff. I like it ok. I have been thinking about using plain chunked tomato sauce and seasoning it myself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Travis.  I was in a hurry, so I picked up the Ragu.  It was OK.  Like you, I'd rather make it myself with tomato sauce, sage, oregano, basil and fennel seed.  I grow everything but the fennel, so it's fresh.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Tortlllas work good too, Tweeve.  I just wanted super thin for my wife.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    VI,

That, sir, is one great idea. I'll bet that would rock the house as an appetizer on a restaurant menu! It look SOS good that I won't go on a huge rant about the jarred sauce, but I'll bet a nice fresh, uncooked San Marzano, basil, oregano and garlic sauce would elevate it to stellar heights.

Cheers,

Captain Spaulding

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    For sauce we like to use a thin layer of tomato paste and add whatever spices then toppings then cook.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I like Paul Newman Sockorooni on my homemade pizzas. Spaghetti one night then use leftover sauce for pizzas on egg another night. Pretty good if in hurry and can't make own sauce.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Great idea, thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Like Tweeve have done the tortillas but I like your idea. Was two enough to hold? That had to be a light pizza.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Not nearly as thin, but naan and pita work great as a premade crust...
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @Tweeve.  Yep, thinner than a tortilla, even 2 stacked together.

@Mickey.  Two worked out fine.  I didn't fuse them together with water, but they held together just fine.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Several years ago someone was doing them at Texas Fest and were good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    When I do my seafood pizza on flour tortillas I used the small ones and the cut them into quarters and they are the perfect size for an appetizer but I'm liking the egg roll for super thin. Thanks for posting it VI.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Great Idea.! That is something I will try. I was just thinking about doing pizza later this week and wanted a thinner crust. Is there anyone out there with a regular crust that could share how they go about making a real thin crust. Mine are always a bit on the thicker side, even though I try my best to thin them out.
    Thanks VI 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I will definitely be trying these out. Thanks for the tip.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Key to keeping it thin once you get it rolled super thin is to build pizza and get it on a HOT stone really quickly. The more time the pizza sits once it it built, the more proofing of the dough occurs. Basically by rolling it out, you are redistributing the food that is available for the yeast. Yeast will quickly start to become more active and this activity causes the dough to get airy and puffy....not as thin anymore. By quickly getting the pizza on a hot stone, you are stopping the yeast in their tracks and essentially "setting" (cooking) the dough at the thinness you started with.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI: why use parchment on this? I don't get it.
    I've always used parchment so it doesn't stick.  I know you can use cornmeal on the stone, but this is more convenient IMHO.  Slides right on, and slides right off onto the peel.  BTW, I've lost my peel since we rebuilt the garage, so I am using a bamboo cutting board for a peel.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What a great idea and way to think outside of the box! I know the crust was thini, but was it crispy? Looks like it was. Looks like maybe you should have trimmed that parchment paper just a bit more as well. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Thannks, Griffin.  Yes, the crust was very crispy.

and, lol, I do tend to overcook my parchment.  Makes it too dry to eat.  Tastes like paper. 
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thank you Tweev_tipesy. This will be worth a try as well. Hey how many fingers do you see? :-SS
    Large, small, and a mini