Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Pulled Pork and Brisket that Pulls...Help.

Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I cooked a brisket the other day and when took it off the egg...it pulled like pulled pork. This was only the second brisket I've cooked. (I screwed the first one up by purchasing a corned beef brisket...mistake) Any idea why this would happen? It was also rather dry...It didn't slice nicely live I'm used to seeing brisket slice.

Now I have cooked pulled pork 5-10 times and it has turned out pretty good 70% of the time. The other times it turns out dry...like my latest batch. I cooked the pulled pork (2-3lb) for 6 hours at 225. I wrapped it in foil with my wrapping mixture and let it rest for 30 before placing it back on the egg for another hour at 250. Then I took it off and pulled. It was tasty...but BOY was it dry.

Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• Are you using a temp probe so you know the temp of the meat when you take it off? Everything you describe is overcooked meat.
  • The other thing with brisket is that you need to slice it across the grain of the meat. If you haven't let the brisket rest and then slice it with the grain it can fall apart.
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    The pork butt should turn out great every time. The briskets are a little harder to do that. I would suggest getting a temperature probe if you don't have one already. Then just leave it on at 225-250 until it gets to 195 internal. Then wrap in foil and rest in cooler for a hour and the pull it. It will turn out great every time.

On the briskets, I wrap them at 165 and then pull them at 200 internal temp. Then rest in cooler like above. That seems to work pretty good for me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    pulled pork, 2 pounds your playing with disaster, 7 pounds minimum, if thats too much for you get 2 seven pounders and a food saver and freeze 12 pounds after cooking. brisket can be hard, yo CANNOT COOK A 2 POUND BRISKET, well you can but slice it thin and make jerky
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it