Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Not exactly new item. But. Grilled our first pizza on the BGE tonight and experienced whatever that flavor is you get from grilling pizza on the egg. WHAT IS IT??? the charcoal I suppose but we don't notice it so much in the meats if we don't use smoke. Wife loved it (you know what that means!).

Grilled it indirect with platesetter legs down BGE stable at 500F. Threw the pizza on with a cold Pampered Chef stone and it was done in 10-11 minutes. Next time I'll go a little longer, or try to go hot stone to get the crust a little crunchier.

The only thing that I can add 'new' here is that Mickey and some others have advocated leaving the top vent off and just controlling with the bottom vent for 350F and above (and we have found that works just fine). Our add is that when doing that with pizza at 500F you can look into the top with a flashlight and see the pizza visually letting you pull it when it gets done to your liking.

Goo Goo Ga Joob!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Yeah, Put some spacers between the platesetter and the pizza stone and get it to your cooking temp for a good crust

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited January 2012
    Sounds like it went good, though I am surprised the bottom crust cooked at all.  I don't think a pizza stone serves any useful purpose if it is used when it is cold. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    I had planned to use a hot stone but the Pillsbury dough pizza was so sad I had to put it on the stone cold. Next time hot stone and Publix pizza dough!

Also, how do you get a raw, limp, thin crust pizza onto a hot stone and especially a hot stone inside the Egg? When I worked at a pizzeria we used screens, so I know about those. Is there a screenless way?
  • SteveWPBFL
    One more thing. The Pampered Chef stone really picked up the 'charcoal' smell from it's time in the Egg, did not expect that.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    The hot stone should already be in the egg. One thing I learned on this forum is to build your pizza on parchment paper. Slide onto the stone and after a minute or two you can pull it out. Super easy. Others use a peel and cornmeal.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I agree with a peel and corn meal. Screens work too.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • Gato
    I am planning on trying the peel. I just made a pattern for one based on the design on the naked whiz's site. Parchment is super easy, buy I kinda feel like I'm cheating.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    In my opinion corn meal will burn on the hot stone and leave a bitter taste, parchment paper doesn't give you any off flavours.  After about two minutes just pull the parchment paper out from under the pizza.

Gerhard
  • What peel do you all recommend?
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • Gato
    I haven't been able to find one I really like. Here is the pattern for the one I'm making. Find plans here. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/peel.htm

Made this pattern out of construction paper, and will trace it out on the board for cutting.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bghiii
    bghiii Posts: 25
    I just bought a Super Peel. It's kind of a hybrid that comes very highly recommended on alot of baking sights and on this forum. www.superpeel.com. I bought it not only for pizza, I want to start doing bread this year. Not only is it highly recommended but I had a slight problem and they sent me a completely new peel within 24 hrs just to make sure I was 100% happy. Excellent customer service!

I live in Atlanta and am no way affiliated with the company other than being a happy customer.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Trying pizza again tonight, plan is to cook it on a hot stone. Haven't obtained a peel or parchment yet, might run out and get a screen or make something like it instead. While in Milwaukee a few weekends ago visiting my daughter in college we sat around a spinach-artichoke-grilled onion pizza and some really good local IPA with her roomies and it was so good I'm going to try to replicate it tonight. But with a hot stone! And some fresh publix pizza dough on a large BGE at 500F indirect.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sounds great. Which publix pizza dough? In SC the dough balls in deli are sticky as glue. I find it easier to make my own dough now. Especially if I do pizza twice in a week.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    bghii - I have a super peel and it is great.  I always had dough sticking to all peals I used in the past and it was extremely frustrating.  The SP makes the pizza slide off very easily right onto the hot stone with no part sticking.  I would definitely recommend this.  I would like it a bit bigger, I know they have an attachement for a bigger pizza (16"), just haven't ordered it yet.
  • Having grown up in a pizza restaurant, and having made my share of successful pizzas on the egg, here are some tips:
    1.  Pizza Peel:  Most important piece of equipment.  I went to a restaurant equipment store and picked up a 23" wooden peel (Only $20).  It must be wood, or else it is more difficult to slide the pizza onto the stone.  
    2.  Pizza Stone:  Must be hot when you slide the pizza on.  Ideal temp is 550-600 dome temp.
    3.  Making the pie:  Throw a pinch of flour onto your table.  Then coat the dough ball with flour.  Start rolling it out to desired thickness.  Once rolled out, throw a pinch of flour on the wooden pizza peel, spread out the flour and lay the rolled out pizza on top.  Place all your ingredients on the pizza.
    4.  Sliding the pizza onto the hot stone:  Holding the pizza peel at eye level, gently shake it back and forth while blowing underneath the pizza.  You will see the pizza slightly hover while you do this.  This has just loosened it up enough for you to safely slide it onto the hot stone.  Continuing to gently shake the peel back and forth to keep the pizza loosely on the peel's surface, gradually shake the pizza onto the stone.  If you do this, the pizza will be perfectly placed onto a hot stone and you will not have any spillage of cheese onto your stone.  You will have a much better crust if you lay the pizza onto a hot stone, rather than just throwing it on a tray.
  • IrishDevl
    Here is my pizza from last night, came out great.  Plain and bacon and hot sausage
  • gerhardk
    Having grown up in a pizza restaurant,
    Holding the pizza peel at eye level, gently shake it back and forth while blowing underneath the pizza.

If I saw them blowing on or under my pizza at the local pizzeria I think I would probably leave without a pizza.

Gerhard
  • I have the superpeel too and I love it
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Gato

If I saw them blowing on or under my pizza at the local pizzeria I think I would probably leave without a pizza.

Gerhard

+1

Be sure and sneeze into your shirt sleeve but you can blow on their pizza. I don't think so.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • gerhardk
    @ IrishDevl It has been well known that not all restaurant workers take kindly to criticism and take it out on the complainers, I for one am not one to send food back to the kitchen.

Gerhard
  • SteveWPBFL
    Spinich artichoke grilled onoion pizza is IN THE BGE AT 600F NOW!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Yeah, HOT stone's the way to go. THAT pizza was first rate! Cooked off the remainder of the original BGE gasket, what was left on the lower bowl from the last time the BGE went up to 750F. Let her cool down to 600F and stabilized. Tried to get clear smoke but wasn't clear clear. I did notice that when I shut the damper two three times to bring the temp down the BGE initially smoked like crazy. Anyway, pizza had no real smoke flavor using BGE lump. Crust was nice and brown, almost crispy for a medium thick Publix pizza dough. Those three ingredients with an oregano flavored white sauce are wonderful, too. Maybe throw in some fresh garlic slices would be all I might add next time. Total real cost of all the ingredients in that pizza might have been two, three bucks tops. And. The wife loved it! So you know what that means ......
  • Bakeman
    Bakeman Posts: 113
    No tell us???????
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    No tell us???????

Steve's going to need more charcoal....
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Last night was our second pizza using Wal Mart frozen dough...tastes much better than Publix dough...
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    edited February 2012
    I would invest in a BGE pizza stone as your pampered Chef one is not intended for high temps. most end up shattering in the egg. if you do a quick search you will see that is the fate of many :( and you just can not beat pizza from the egg :)
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    @ IrishDevl It has been well known that not all restaurant workers take kindly to criticism and take it out on the complainers, I for one am not one to send food back to the kitchen.

Gerhard

I have on occasions ... but I choose my battles carefully!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • IrishDevl
    I would certainly send food back if I thought appropriate.  If I was scared they would do something to my I wouldn't eat there to begin with.