Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcocked chicken

Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is the advantage of a spatchcocked chicken versus just cutting the chicken in half?
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• Don't have an answer for that one.  I suppose you could do either way, they both should be just as moist.  The spatchcocked just looks better all together.
    Large BGE Dyersburg TN
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Novelty and presentation. Plus, I like the name. Maybe ease of manipulation during cooking. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • It depends on what you mean by cutting the chicken in half.  If you mean cut out the backbone, flatten the bird by breaking the breast bones, and cutting in half, not a whole lot.  If you mean just cutting a bird in half without flattening it, then it won't cook as evenly since the bird won't be flat.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2012
    If you spatch, it's easier to add rub under the skin, as the skin runs the entire meat side.  The skin gives full protection of the meat.  If you cut in half, half white and dark, it creates a long skin edge down the breast. If you put rub under the skin, this edge creates a better chance the skin will expose the breast meat, as the skin has nothing holding it down.

checkout the video for spatch and halving.....

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Ragtop99
    Whiz, thanks for the tips, I looked at your site, but I didn't realize the breast was flattened to for more even cooking. 

TJV, good video link. 
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I jumped on the spatch-wagon a few weeks ago and its just so easy to do and the results are amazing.  No more cut chicken on my egg ever again.  :D
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Brought home a 6 lb.'er this morning to spatch-up this evening. Planning to throw on a rub about an hour before throwing it on a raised grid and cooking it direct at 400 dome to 165F breast and 180F thigh. Who's with me!

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I hear ya!!! Can't decide if I want to do a spatchcock chicken, pork chops, pork tenderloin, rack of lamb, ribeye, or some grouper tonight. Decisions, decisions :)
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Does any one spatchcock indirect. I do it direct and it's great. But I do my wings indirect and they come out great also
  • SteveWPBFL
    That's one reason I like the spatch method direct on raised grid high heat, you get crispy wings!

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I wrap a couple of bricks in foil and put on top of the spatchcocked chicken. Works well. Take them off after halfway.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I do chicken of any kind raised direct.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's a halfspatch I did. Started out as spatchcock, but decided to marinate overnite in a homemade Italian dressing, so I cut them in half.

Removed from frig and seasoned with DP Raging River, then on the grill @325 on top of the AR.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Turned over @30minutesimage

Flip back after 15 minutes and sauced with Blues Hog Honey Mustard. image

cooked another 23 minutes to 161 in the breast.image

removed the AR and crank up the heat to char @ regular level 90 secondsimage

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    tjv, what a great answer!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Nice!!! Mine's ON THE GRID!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    Well it turned out perfect! Pulled it like I planned, 165f at the breast. 400-450 on the dome. (thanks to Mickey for that method!).
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited January 2012
    Does any one spatchcock indirect. I do it direct and it's great. But I do my wings indirect and they come out great also
    I have done one both ways now and I think I prefer direct...over indirect.  First one was direct at normal grid level and the second was indirect raised grid (with a 2-tier system).  I like the crispy skin better via the direct method - although I have yet to try direct with a raised grid.  That will be my next spatch cook.
  • Ragtop99
    I did a 7lb chicken yesterday.  It wasn't too hard to do the prep work, but the keel bone broke as I was pulling it out. As suggested in the video, I them in half and it was easier to handle on the BBQ and it allowed me to keep the leg over the hotter part of the grill at the start.   I did it raised direct at 350 - 375* with nothing more than a little olive oil and garlic on the skin.  It came out with a nice smokey flavor. 

Honestly, I couldn't tell any flavor difference from the last chicken I roasted whole in the Egg.  There was one little part on the bottom of the chicken thigh that got sort of crisp that was a nice little treat, but otherwise it was about the same.  The biggest advantage for me is it was easier to serve since I wasn't wrestling with a whole bird at 170*.  I can also see an advantage when finishing with a sauce or if I were working a rub under the skin.  At that point, might be just as easy to quarter the chicken.  What did I miss?
  • I turn my spatchcock chicken once or twice.  Anyone just do entire cook with bone down?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I turn my spatchcock chicken once or twice.  Anyone just do entire cook with bone down?
    I never turn-over my chicken. Cook at 400 direct / high / and bone down. Now if I see a hot spot will turn the grill a qt to half spin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I turned them once and this last time I didn't turn them at all. There wasn't and difference. Actually they got away from me and when I remembered that I had the chickens on the egg they were done.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I do them just like Mickey said and get perfect results every time.
  • I tried this the other day and they came out pretty good. The guys at work loved them. The only complaint I had was that the smoke flavor did not permeate very far into the meat. So if you pull the skin off like I did. not much smokiness like I prefer. Also these birds went straight from the store to the egg. In the future I will probably try brining overnight to see if I get juicier and more flavorfull chicken. Very very easy though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Be very careful with smoke on birds. To most a little is good and a little more is BAD.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I feel like a REAL virgin asking for confirmation on this, but I have looked at all the posts on spatchcock.  My objective is CRISPY skin ... And so, what I BELIEVE I have learned here is the following, to obtain that:

No butter under the skin / no oil on the birdie (no word on "separating the skin" from the bird tho)
    Raised
    Direct
    Dome 375-400
    Meat - 160 light / 180 dark

Can any of you provide your ever so respected insight on this matter?  All I want is some crispy, tasty, salty skin :-)  

(And yes, I'm doing this in 2 hours --- and I WILL post pictures - it will be my first picture posting)