Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 Racks of Ribs!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!

Options
locolongball
locolongball Posts: 414
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright gang, [p]Most of you know about the big cook I'm doing for the VP'and directors for my company. (www.wiltel.com) Anyway, the plan is for 2 large pork Butts overnight, then @ 6am, putting on the ribs. Only problem is I can not figure out how to do that many ribs at one time. When I do ribs at home, I use my plate sitter inverted, drip pan, and a rib rack. I do 1 pack of the ribs from Sam's. I need to do 3 packs, which is 9 racks. I bought some bolts and some 15in racks from lowes today, and planning on stacking everything, But on top of a plate setter, i don't think I'll I room to stack 3 gills high. BTW, I have a large. [p]HELP!

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    locolongball,[p]should of spell check. LOL
  • clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    Options
    locolongball,[p]Try stacking them 3 high, move the top rack to bottom about every 45 min. The juice from the top ribs will run to the bottom and keep everything moist and juicy.
  • locolongball
    Options
    clweed,[p]Found this link, what do u think.
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/183167.htm[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    locolongball, One way of doing them, to which I had done about 18 racks for a party. Start about 2 days in advance. Do half the racks one day and the rest the next. Now the cook process:
    Do the racks as normal (3,1,1)for about 3 hours or so at 250 dome. The next step is to place them in a deep square alum pan, covered with foil, with a little of the sauce you will use for about an hour or so. Now when your done with this step, remove the pan from the Egg and let cool a while and refridgerate till party day. On party day warm the ribs in the house oven at about 175 degrees only to allow the ribs to soften and loose the harden grease. About an hour before eating start putting the ribs on the Egg for saucing and grilling and start serving them up. I did this last year and it went really well. Mark B gas done this also with great success. You must be careful with the ribs, then tend to fall a part.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    locolongball, when are you cooking? Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    locolongball,
    Vertical?
    got another smoker to put the Butts in while you do your ribs?

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    locolongball,
    I was going to suggest something very similar. Since you're cooking indirect anyways, stacking them would work. Maybe 4 up, side by side with 1 across on top between the 2 stacks, holding the stacks together. Rotate the top to the bottom every 3 minutes for 3 hours, then throw them all in 1 or 2 foil pans stacked for the wrapped portion of the cook, then stack and move for the direct charring. The ol' shuck & jive cook.