Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

jannwj
jannwj Posts: 6
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Bought one for my husband's birthday. Do we need to season it? Guy at Ace said to oil it and "cook" on 500 degrees for an hour but we never seem to find the time. Can we just PAM it and use it?

Comments

• I never seasoned mine.  To me, the purpose for seasoning is to make the surface non-stick.  On a CI grill, you're just wanting grill marks on the meat.  I would wash it with soap and water before using, though.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    You could, I never did with mine and it worked fine.  I sear steaks on it with a spider and never had a problem.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    If you season it, it will burn off with the first cook

Might want to scrub it under hot water with a little detergent and rinse well, to remove mill scale or any oils on it. It didnt rust during manufacture and shipping, so it might have some light oil on it already. But i'd always wash new cookware before using

No, detergent won't get into the so-called 'pores'. Just rinse well and dry. Good to go. Let the regular use of the grate be what seasons it. Wire brush after each use while still hot. Grease build up left on it can cause rust. It'll might rust some Between cooks. Just hit it with the wire brush

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigearl
    bigearl Posts: 25
    I brush cooking oil onto mine every cook - it seasons it and also prevents rust. It still produces great grill marks.   I would do nothing more than that.
    huh?
  • jannwj
    jannwj Posts: 6
    Thank you everyone!