Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Confused (duh, maybe it's the blonde hair)

Options
chill243
chill243 Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke some ribs this weekend on the large BGE.  What do I do?  Do I need the rib rack?  I purchased a place setter, maybe legs up ribs on grill for 4-5 hrs at 250 with a few pieces of hardwood?  Will that work?  I've read the stuff about the spider, etc, but I'm not sure I'm at that level yet!!

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    PlateSetter will give you that indirect heat you want (don't forget to use something for a drip pan.  Just throw them on the grill.  I do a 3-1-1 which is 3hrs @~250-275  then wrap in HDAF (heavy duty aluminium foil)  for 1 hour, then back on the grill for 1 hour.  I use a dry rub that has been modified from some recipe found in the "cloud".  Black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and some brown sugar.   (IIRC - I have to look it up every time I make it...) and contrary to "competition" rules, I like mine -falling off the bone good!!!

You do not need the rib rack, but if you are doing a lot, it is nice to have. I had someone give it to me for Christmas one year... works great. 
  • chill243
    Options
    Would you be kind enough to tell me the ratios for the rub??
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Use any of your favorite dry rubs. I use apple juice,apple cider and water in a pan thats big enough to catch the drippings.Check and fill in about 2 hours. And I also use a rack with the platesetter. Everybody on these forums has their own way of doin ribs and on an EGG,Ya can't go wrong
    LET'S EAT
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    You can cut the slabs up and lay them on the grill directly. I can usually fit more that way. Make sure to keep your dripping/water pan off the plate setter with those lil feet or a stack of washers. If you put it straight on, the drippings will give off a crappy tasting smoke, so at least make sure to keep liquid in it.

When ya make a rub from scratch you have the luxury of just mixing it till it looks good to you. That makes it fun for me. Although when I hit the "sweet spot" with a good rub I realize I didn't write it down, rats.
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    Place the ribs vertically in the rib rack and bend them into somewhat of a U shape so the ribs stay inside the perimeter of the platesetter.  This will keep the tips of the ribs from burning from being exposed to the direct heat that comes up outside the platesetter.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • chill243
    Options
    Tx sooo much for the comments!
  • Gunsmoke
    Options
    If you use a rub and indirect heat, it's all good after that.