Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different smoking woods

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm getting ready to start pruning my orchard trees. I'll keep all the apple and cherry for smoking, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with peach, nectarine, persimmon or plum. Let me know what you think about these other woods, before I throw them out.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    try them before  throwing them out...
    most fruitwoods and hardwoods seem to work well. 

if you know that the fruit trees have been heavily sprayed with insecticide, you may not want to use them(or eat the fruit i guess), otherwise, why not give them a shot? no need to let them season.  use them green
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Typically any fruitwood is super for smoking.  Here's a link to just one of many sources on woods for smoking: Woods For Smoking
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Persimmon is the bomb

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• upnsmoke
    Options
    PEACH!! I was debating making a post to see if anyone knows where to buy it in Atlanta without have to drive to south GA and cut it myself.

Peach is awesome for smoking, if you ever watch pit masters, the cocky one that wins a lot of the tournaments uses peach....
  • rbm4017
    rbm4017 Posts: 25
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can use Bradford Pear for smoking?
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Billy Ray - I'll pay for the shipping if your want to get rid of 10 lbs of peach.  Let me know.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've read that the sap from fresh fruit wood can impart a special flavor. I had a bunch of fresh peach last year, and I didn't notice any special flavor, but then everything I was cooking had a fair bit of rub on it.

The good flavors come from the lignin in the wood breaking down. The "harder" the hard wood is, the more lignin there is. Really "soft" hardwoods have too much cellulose, and the smoke always has lots of unpleasant flavors. Fruit woods tend to be in the middle, and give a lighter flavor than oak or hickory.
  • billyray
    Options

Kentucky Wildcat Fan;

I had to check with my youngest son to make sure I wasn't committing a SEC sin :-), by shipping to a UK fan. He graduated from Ole Miss the same year as Eli. I'll be pruning in the next few days, after the rain. I think I can get 8 lbs. or so in a medium flat rate box (USPS @ $10.45). The pieces should be 1" to 1 1/2" diameters. I'll message you with the weight when I get it done and we can make arrangements if you're still interested.

Thanks, Bill

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    @rbm4017   I have been told not to use bradford pear wood.  Can't remember why though.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • billyray
    Options

Little Steven ;

"Persimmon is the bomb" as in good or as in bombed out?

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Not sure if this is a thread hijack, that should be in a different topic - but kinda related.

Thinking that "fresh" or green wood would be better for smoking than a dried out chunk that has been on the shelf or in a warehouse for a year or more.   Is that valid?  Does it matter?

All I have access to that I know about is the bag of chunks at the store.   Would I want green wood with a higher sap content?   If so - any ideas for where that could be bought in the north texas area?

thanks

Cookin in Texas
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

Glad this was posted.  I needed to order some more chunks from http://www.smokinlicious.com

I went with cherry this time.  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Smokey Egg
    Options
    I read somewhere not to use Bradford Pear wood.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    billy ray, I'll do the same for some peach if you've got it. No worries, i graduated from ole miss in '06. Eli's year was the last decent football season we've seen.
  • billyray
    Options

mwraulst ;

That's for sure. I'll see how much I get and let you know. Hotty Toddy.