Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One point about the forum

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy yall. I just wanted to throw this point out abut the forum in hopes of at least providing food for thought for the creator of the new forum. Not getting all complex, just kind of a general big picture thought from someone that, FWIW, has been following the heartbeat of the forum fairly closely for over 6 years.[p]The forum polices itself pretty well. Except for an occassional Crack Dongle, spammer, or some troll tryin' to stir the pot, it really rolls along pretty well. And the openess of the forum invites activity. Some of the non-eggers who post here might not bother if they have to create an account and remember yet another password. And who knows how many folks would stop posting (or not bother to start) if they had to sign up to post here. [p]I really think this whole sign-in thing has the potential of really changing things drastically....and not in such a good way. The format thing is another issue, but the user account/sign-in/password thing worries me most. [p]Just thinkin here....I really don't know the best answer, it just skeers me.
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Well here's another point to throw on top of what you said. Let's say that the change involves having to log in and create a password and remember it. How important is the forum to you? Is it worth remembering a password (which actually a cookie would take care of)? [p]If you're in need of information, creating an account is a very small step to take in order to get the vast reward of the information you will get here. If you're a knowledge base is it really that much harder to log in to be able to help people?[p]I'd certainly be willing to create an account and I imagine most other folks would also. I figure if someone is not interested enough to do something as simple as create an account, how much interest do you think they would show to the forum in general?[p]Just some more points to ponder...don't be skeered my friend.[p]Bobby

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm taking a break from trying to get stuff ready to take to the TexFest tomorrow....what is the old saying about the shoemaker's kids....that they didn't have any shoes of their own? Well, I understand completely, if you know what I mean.[p]In regards to your post...I've got to say that, from a personal standpoint, I must agree with you. I came to this Forum as a total novice. What I found was a site that even I could navigate, and access was so easy that even I couldn't screw it up.[p]To me, the occasional moronic, unwanted post only helps keep my attention....this is a fun thing...not life and death....just a part of life that I've chosen to be a part of. I'm not looking for a secret society, just a place that I feel comfortable coming when I need a laugh or some information. This Forum provides me with both of those on a daily basis. [p]I had a personal e-mail conversation this morning with a very nice Forum visitor who might not have been here if it had proven too difficult to access. I know....difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. However, I have tried several of the other "improved" Forums lately and found them way to high-tech for this simple mind. I realize that to most folks this is probably not an issue, but to me it is. [p]What is it we were discussing?? I forget.[p]Off to Austin in the A.M.[p]Mike

• Peddler
    Peddler Posts: 37
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have not been active on the forum for quite some time...been busy trying to keep my head above water after starting my own company. However, I can tell you that when I got my Egg in 2000, the forum saved me from really messing things up. Guys like you and JJ, among others, were always there at crazy days of the week and hours of the day to steer me in the right direction so I wouldn't look foolish in front of my fans. Let's not make it more difficult for newbees to get the same level of support. Long live us Eggers!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    For the last five weeks I've spent very little time reading or posting on the Forum because I am "supposed" to be avoiding any eye strain, but today I spent a great deal of time trying to catch up on what has been happening in my absence. [p]The first thing that surprised me was that my profile is no longer listed. Then I noticed that some long-time Eggheads were also missing from the list, along with photos. I didn't know what happened so I decided to keep reading.[p]Somewhere in my reading I ran across something suggesting that changes were being made to the Forum. Since I really don't know what those changes are I can't comment on them one way or the other. However, I can comment on why I became a regular reader/poster here. It was because this was a very comfortable and easy place to share my thoughts and read what others have to say about a hobby that I have grown to love. I agree with what you are saying about the Forum policing itself. [p]Realizing that change is something Americans are pretty good at adjusting to, I will make every effort to adjust to this one. However, if it becomes uncomfortable or difficult like so many others out there, I will just fade away knowing that the change is probably for the greater good.[p]Spring "Packed And Ready For Eggfest" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I agree.[p]I believe the simpler things are... the better. And the more complex things become... the not-so better.[p]To me it's not a matter of trying something new or fear of new things or whatever.... it's a matter of keeping things simple, open and spontaneous.... just like good conversation.[p]John[p][p]

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I agree NB, simple is better. I read and write to a online board. It has mandatory login's and also guest posting with and without special names and quoting. Anyone can do a quick reply and also go very deep if needed. It also creates speical "rooms" that has special use. This site is all soccer from age 8 to 80. Then there is coffeegeeks.com, if you like coffee thats the place

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    I tend to agree with you on this, only if the cookies will remember your identity and password. The Photoshop forum, for instance, does this and you only have to go through the registration thing one time, and one time only.

• wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The whole sign in procedure isn't that bad, I would like to see a forum that has different sections (recipes, questions, tips, ect) for people to post. It makes it easier to read posts, especially when you've been away for a few days. Not to plug another site, but EggMaster has a nice forum to get an idea of what I mean. - Mike

[ul][li]Addicted to BBQ[/ul]
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    Nature Boy, I am in total agreement with your well stated thoughts...we should not place ANY hurdles in the way of ANYONE who is egg interested or just wandering cyberspace when they wander into our GREEN ROOM....I fear a password may create an unneeded hurdle.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    wfd146,
    "isn't that bad"....maybe. Perhaps it would be okay. But it would be different. Way different. [p]There are really two great bbq forums on the internet. This one and "The BBQ Forum". Both are a simple in-your-face format, and both get hundreds of posts every single day. Even in the winter. If folks gotta sign in then I have to think the number of posts will be half what they are now.[p]The features of eggmasters forum are pretty cool, but something big is lost. I can't explain it really, but I think a lot of folks could be lost forever if they don't have the convenience of posting when they feel like it without signing up. I suppose some of it has to do with us old farts wanting things to be the way they work now. I guess we gotta move with the times though. Wild how things change. [p]Beers dude
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Nature Boy, you hit the nail on the head ! Posts will drop by a big percentage with a sign in....

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Remebering the password and logging in is no problem for me at all. In fact, I just tell my mac to remember my login and password, and it is a piece of cake. [p]What I worry about is the hundreds (or thousands) of potential posters that don't want to deal with filling out another form. They don't want to give up their email. They don't want people to know where they live. They just want to talk. I want to hear from the folks who (while reading through the forum late at night) feel compelled to jump into the conversation because it moves them. You might just learn a special sauce from their grandma, or a magical trick to caramelize the crust on your ribs....and it could be from someone who cooks on a fast eddy or sumthin. [p]I am ponderin dude, but I am still askeered. Well, I gotta hit the sack so I can be in good shape tomorrow. Would sure like to be able to judge the competitors fairly, so i guess I owe them a good night's sleep. Hatch and I are headed out about 6am. Catch ya on the flipside.[p]Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    What's your prediction? Half? More?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I'm with NB on this one. I often do a quick check of the forum while I am doing other things just to see if there is any new interesting post. If I had to sign in every time it would not be worth it and it would cut down the number of times I visited by quite a bit. Probably my employers would think that is a good thing (LOL). [p]Also, as someone who hates using grocery store cards and the like, I would hate to have to "show my card" every time I wanted to visit the forum.[p]In short, I am ready to support a lot of new things for the forum like what I see on the new test site, but signing in is a deal breaker for me. [p]Brett

• The Virginian
    The Virginian Posts: 275
    Options
    The Virginia,
    May I just add that I am dazzled by the new site overall. The look is great, a definite step up, forum passwords aside. [p]Brett

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Nature Boy, I hate to think about how many posts would not appear ; Or how many potential newbies would move on without a post or without even reading about our GREEN CULT ADDICTION... a password just seems unneeded to me. We will certainly lose a lot. I personally quit one board because I did not want to fool with registration....

• Nature Boy
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I agree. The new look is great. Aways nice when someone takes the time to improve stuff!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    If you just click the remember me button, it will place a cookie on your computer and you won't have to sign in every time.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    MasterMason,
    Yeah i know. Like I mentioned, for me it is easy. But for those who post on a whim.....well, it is them I am worried about. There are folks who know plenty about cooking, but don't care about cookies on their puters, and they definitely don't want to cough up personal info to get an account.[p]Call me a devil's advocate I guess!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    MasterMason,[p]Now thats just great..how the heck they do that ? Truth be tole though if I want a cookie I can get my big hairy behine up offa this here seat and get me one..what I want is a button that'll get me free meat..I'd log on all day prolly all night for that..but maybe if I get to say what kinda cookie it is it just might work..ok..I want a hair cookie..wait that dont sound rite..I want pie..yes pie..that's what I want..pie..a big snuggly warm one..will the new forum do that..man..how great is a remember me button now..sheegolly..I love this new technology..scuse me if I hit the CAPS LOCK KEY WITH SUMTHIN BY ACKSIDENT..[p]STUMPBABY

• Nature Boy
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    Hurdles are one thing. Unneeded hurdles are....well....unneeded. LOL.
    Beers mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I with you I prefer not having to register login.[p]I also like the layout of our discussion. I sometimes go to the Major League baseball forums. I can never really follow the discussions there. I just try to get a general idea of the group is thinking.[p]Have fun tomorrow - I am going to try to stop by and say hi to the Q Doctor.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]These times they are a changin'...., Sometime ago I stumbled on to this forum after a mention on the BBQ Forum. When I did post (infrequently) in the early years, I did not always use the same handle, I never even set up a profile. When the new forum format showed up, I wondered about the same things you are bringing up, but many of the professional and engineering forums I now cruise have similar guidelines, so I figured, what the hey? (Considering identity theft, trolls and all).[p]Not sure where I'm going with this but one of the early things I copied from this forum and posted into my BGE folder was this...sound familiar? [p]~thirdeye~[p][p]Posted by Nature Boy on January 05, 2000 at 14:40:40:[p]When I open the forum, and sit here, I can't comprehend,
    How lucky we are, the great source of knowledge, humor and friends. [p]All the great people, sharing experiences and knowledge.
    Each time I learn something, just like a cooking college.[p]Diverse sorts of people, with a common search for great Q,
    Experiences from near and far, help us do what we do.[p]I've learned all I have, from this vast source of info,
    To cook any food any meat, with confidence and gusto.[p]Our webmaster is the best, that the net has to offer,
    Every one should agree, or my name ain't Chris TOPHER.[p]Thanks to BGE, webmaster, and a perfect mix of friends and cooks,
    We can cook up a storm, without boiling water or books.[p]We can all be assured, when we need help and suggestions.
    We know where to come, to share experiences and ask questions.[p]So just some thoughts I had floating, and I don't wanna bor 'em,
    Just a reminder this day, of what we have with this great forum.[p]Happy Qing.
    Nature Boy[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Dang, they thinkin' about gettin' rid of us non-eggers Chris........and I so loved to look at all the photo's, even met a few good friends here.[p]Rick
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Well said. (Now I wouldn't have said *that* if I had to log on. I delete my cookies often.)[p]-William

• Nature Boy
    Options
    thirdeye,
    LOL. Dang. I did that??
    Wonder what the date of that one was. Seems like 5 years ago. Defintely still feel that way! Thanks for that.[p]Well, time to hop on the road and go eat (what they tell me) could be several pounds of BBQ.
    Have a good un!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Salmon,
    See now. You be one of dem I wuz talkin 'bout. It would sure suck not to see "Salmon" on the board.
    Happy weekend buddy
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You are absolutely right on the money here. I can't even begin to count the numbeer of sites or forums that I started out looking for and then just plain lost interest in when the "Create Your Account" screen got in my way. [p]I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of "Why by a BGE?" inquiries drop by at least 50%. Thats 50% fewer potential customers for the mothership.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I couldn't aggree with you more.

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]This forum is largely the reason I bought my large BGE.[p]I think it is the most enjoyable forum I have seen in the many years I have been messing with a computer.[p]I can honestly not think of anything I would do to improve it (if I could).[p]Please !! No sign in.[p]You are a great member of the forum Nature Boy. Thank you for past help.[p]Kyle