Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner- Question

Hi54putty
Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
First Post-
My wife gave me a Large BGE for Christmas and I am totally addicted.  I have cooked on it many times since then and have been on this forum at least once a day.  I really enjoy the discussion and help provided here.

As a NC resident I tend to default to pork but have really enjoyed fish and chicken as well...all relatively healthy recipes. 

I have a few accessories so far but am really wanting a cast iron grate. I have seen the one with the swing out upper rack and also the one with the split grate.  Both make sense for different reasons.  Any advice on the better overall choice? Thanks in advance.
XL,L,S 
Winston-Salem, NC 

Comments

• That is an excellent question for a new egger.  I forsee you accomplishing great feats with your egg. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    I highly recommend the cast iron grate.  It is flat on one side which is perfect for fish and smaller things you don't want falling into the fire.  The other side leaves wicked sear marks on steaks.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited January 2012

It's just my opinion, but I don't see the point to using cast iron grates up higher in the dome, so that upper rack does nothing for me.  I only use cast iron for high heat searing which is where I think it offers a real advatage over the standard SS grates. 

As such, I recommend a spider from Ceramic Grill Store and a 13 BGE grate.

The spider gets the cast iron down close to the coals.  Even a 400 dome temp egg has some pretty intense 700+ temps down on the spider.  And if you go super hot like 700+ in the dome, you will be getting 1000+ down on the spider.

• I prefer the swing out, just about identical to cast with good sear marks. The upper is removable if not needed, but when you do use it boy it's nice to have.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012
    Have CI's for both the Large and Small. I like the SS better.Can live w/o grill marks and so much less trouble to move around. They do not get used anymore. Wish I had the $$$ back on platesetters and CI's to invest in other Egg stuff.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the feedback.

Mickey, you peaked my curiosity. What other "Egg Stuff" would you invest in now?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey

Buy Tom out at www.ceramicgrillstore.com. Get a GridLifter from LawnRanger gridlifter@yahoo.com  Get a Thermapen. The High Que Fire Grate.  THat is the short list. I just think CI's and platesetters are not for me. My next buy is a PartyQ. and another Large.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Great info Mickey. Those all sound great to me too! Thermapen seems like a nobrainer...if you have a C-note to burn.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey...no platesetter?   How do you accomplish a high egg temp without scorching the bottom of your food?  Or a long burn?

I thought a platesetter was a given.  How do you get by without it?
    I love my egg.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I use a 13" stone in the spider for my indirect cooking...no plate setter.
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012
    talltravor just what Mighty_Quinn said. You just don't need it. That all comes from Tom at Ceramic Grill Store.

• Mickey - How much for your 13" CI grate if you don't use it?  I have a Large egg and a spider.  This would be a nice addition for searing low.  Thanks.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Mickey
    edited January 2012

I just sold my small and it went with it. Will use the 13 SS in its place on the spider

• Hi54putty
    Is it common to use SS for every cook? Is there anything SS isn't good for? Why is it better than the stock grate? Thanks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    SS is the stock material for BGE grids now. 
  • SS is better than porcelain grates because the porcelain eventually flakes off, the metal underneath rusts and the grate turns into a piece of crusty rusty junk.
    The Naked Whiz