Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled (boneless, skinless) Chicken

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
A staple at our house for years has been boneless, skinless chicken, usually thighs but sometimes breasts cut in half, all from Costco. The routine has long been to marinate overnight in Italian dressing and when we had the old Weber throw on the grill with newly-spread hot coals, put on the vented lid, flip them after about ten minutes, and remove when the biggest one was done through. Chicken sandwiches are the norm but can be served many other ways.

Now, with a large BGE we stabilize the BGE at a direct 275F dome temp, spread the chicken on the grill, flip after about ten minutes, and remove when largest one is done through.

The main difference so far is that the more-constant (and probably lower direct temp of 275F dome temp at the grill) of the BGE. It results in a chicken that does not have some of the 'crispy char' on the first side grilled from the initial hot coals on the Weber.

In future cooks on the BGE I'm thinking we can go a little hotter and get some crispies, and, there's always the option for smoke.

I've posted this to see if anyone who grills boneless skinless chicken has comments on our process, or, what other processes are working well on the BGE for others.

Goo Goo Ga Joob!

Comments

• I do mine with the platesetter, feet up, and 400-425*.  You get some color on the outside, but no char and they are nice and juicy on the inside. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You could always pull the platesetter out when the chicken is nearly done.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    I do it a lot.  A couple of suggestions:

1.  Get a mallet and pound the breast to a uniform thickness.  Prevents the thin parts from getting overdone while you wait for the thick breast to finish.

2.  I often use a raised grid to get it further off the coals.

3.   Baste the meat in some kind of sauce as they cook.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • I bought some very thick chiken breast at Sam's Club and came home and set-up the lbge for direct cook with the cast iron grate. 

I rubbed them with Weber Kickin' Chicken rub.  I put on the egg when it was about 500 degrees for about 3 minutes on the first side and flipped them.  Closed the lid and shut the egg down.  I let them stay on the egg for about 6 to 8 more minutes. 

They were 165 when I took them off.  They were the moistest chicken breast I have ever had and nicly browned also.

As I had not bought my platesetter when I made this but am looking forward to trying with it.

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • bigearl
    bigearl Posts: 25
    just did some boneless skinless breasts - cooked at about 350 over direct lump.  All i did was us a dry rub and flipped twice - cooked for about 20 minutes and it was the best/ juiciest chicken breasts I've ever had.  Almost fork tender - unheard of with chicken.  I love this BGE!
    huh?
  • I too buy the monster chicken breasts from Sams (I think they come from Mothra) on a regular basis to produce grilled chicken that we cut into strips and freeze for the wife's (yes, the wife who.....) lunch wraps.  I cook them at 375ish direct on a raised grid, turning and possibly relocating every 8-10 minutes.  They are usually done in about 30 minutes.  I don't worry getting the smaller ones off first.  When the big one is done, I take them all off the grill and they are all nice and juicy.  Since these are for sandwich wraps and the wife (yes, the wife who....) doesn't care much for flavor additions, I don't use rub or sauce, but of course, you have a world of options there to do as you like.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz