Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken - First Try

joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have been seeing a few posts about spatchcock chicken on here lately and I decided to try it tonight.  I found an old recipe (circa 2003) from the old BGE Forum that sounded good so here we go.

The recipe calls for orange and pineapple juice, onion, garlic, brown sugar and salt for a brine.  The original recipe calls for a one hour brine period prior to the cook, which is how long I did mine.  The original recipe called for Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin rub.  I cooked direct at 350* dome until the breasts were 175*.

Final result - it turned out very good.  Moist and very tasty with the Dizzy Pig rub.  I think when I do this again, I am going to brine for a longer period of time and maybe add a shot of soy sauce to the brine as well.

Spatchcock Chicken in brine:

On the grill:

A good local wheat beer:

Off the grill (Sorry...I forgot to take a pic whole - I already cut the legs and thighs off)    :D

Comments