Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt cooking time, temperature?

Mitchell Peace
Mitchell Peace Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have a new BBQ Guru DigiQ II temp control and plan to cook two Boston butts overnight in a couple of days. Can anyone offer advice on cooking time, temperature, etc.? The combined weight of the two butts is 15.2 lbs. Should they be placed on the grill directly over the fire or on the elevated grill using the plate setter? I've successfully cooked a couple of butts before, using the plate setter, but without the 'low and slow' DigiQ system. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Platesetter legs up, spacers, drip pan, grid and pork on the grid. 250* dome about an hour and a half to 2 hours per pound. Put your meat probe in the smaller one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    and don't add the meat weights togther.  go by the heavier one for longest time, and check the smaller, as steven said
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Here is a link that might help you.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Gandy- how do you get text to appear instead of a web address like in 'link' above? I've always wondered...
  • highlight the text you want to appear as link, the chick on insert Hyperlink
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Well that's easy...i didnt realize there is a insert hyperlink button until now.  thanks
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Platesetter legs up, spacers, drip pan, grid and pork on the grid. 250* dome about an hour and a half to 2 hours per pound. Put your meat probe in the smaller one.
    What he said
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Thanks for the pointers on cooking the butts, temp, etc. About 14 hours is what I now figure should work for both cuts considering the largest is about 8 lbs. One more question for those who have used the BBQ Guru DigiQ II: What is the function of the flat metal plate included with the fan, ceramic adapter, and the DigiQ unit? The 'instructions' that came with the system do not reference this flat, metal plate in any place that I can find. It's probably a great 'low and slow' cooking control system, but the instructions for those of us who have never used it before are woefully inadequate. I bought it on recommendation from someone who lives in another state, so I haven't actually seen it after installation and in use. BTW, I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but this thing has me stumped. Cook on!
  • I got a new bbq guru diigggyyy 3 and it comes with some one to manually control the temp of your BGE. It works awesome. all I have to do is buy the meat, marinate, and hand it to the BBQ guru and he/she does the rest. I get a text message, Email, Voice mail, Facetime, Tweet, and a Facebook message when its done. Best yet when he/she is not working my BGE I am getting a Deep Tissue Massage, Cuts the lawn Before company comes over, and indulges the Wife with what ever talk she needs. ( Before you get your panties in a knot )  Call tech support. They are there for a reason. and make sure you have the correct model. looks like they make several different ones.   But The Best Way Is to watch it yourself. Nothing better than a little hard work or Fun as we call it.
  • Galake
    Galake Posts: 10

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Control%20Mount

Here is the link, you bend the piece of flat metal and it provides a stand so that your GURU is not flat and it is visible.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome. Saw that it's your first post. The thread you commented on is from 2012. We're you from?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

@Galake - welcome aboard. Enjoy the journey.

Looks like the search feature has a pulse otherwise I'm not sure how the oldies surface 

:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.