Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long Do Your Pork Butt's Take To Cook ???

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I use a large egg with a BBQ Guru, guru damper is set at 1/4 open, daisy wheel damper is open about 1/16". I use BGE lump and cook them at 250 dome temp. They usually vary between 22 to 26 hours too cook with the average being 24 hrs. I cook bone in butt's that have been injected. I'm curious to know what the average cooking time is for others out there cooking low and slow butt's either with or without using the BBQ Guru. Thanks in advance !!! Peace...

Comments

• I forgot to mention that the butts usually weigh about 8 lbs average. Peace...

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    FatBack,[p]Somewhere close to 3 hrs per lb w/ guru.
  • SmokinBoB, Sounds like about the same time as mine, 8 lb butt at 3 hrs per lb = 24 hrs. I am concerned because if you go to a competition and check in is at 9:00 am on Saturday and meat inspection is at 11:00 or noon that means I can't get started cooking until noon or 1:00. If turn is at Noon on Sunday I would be cutting it pretty close. I am in this position for a competition this weekend. What do you all do in this case ? Do you cook smaller butts or do you increase the temp up from 250 ??? Thanks again for all replys !!! Peace...

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    FatBack,
    If I inject, I can get them done in as little as 8 hours, but I never go more than about 14 hours. I go with 235° at the meat.

1044 Posts: 93
    FatBack,
    3 hours per lb? Wow! Is that because of the Egg? I would think temp is temp. I don't know anyone that takes over 2 hours, tops. At 225-230, I will usually hit 200 in no more than 1.5 hours per lb. Mine is a big offset or wsm. Same on both.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    FatBack,
    about 16 for an 8 pound boneless, dome temp 275 until internal hits 140, dome 225 until the plataues is over, dome 275-300 until 195 internal

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobby-Q, This is exactly the part that puzzles me ??? How can one butt take 24 hrs and another butt take 8 hrs if they are basically the same weight and cooked at the same temp ??? Somebody please explain... Thanks... Peace...

• 1044, Mine seem to average about 3 hrs per lb and like you are amazed at it taking that long I am equally amazed at those who can cook them in 1.5 - 2 hrs per lb. It all just doesn't make any sense. I sure wish I could figure it out.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    FatBack,
    Well there are a lot of factors that can be controlled to make the length of time different. [p]One factor is how much injection you use or if you use one at all. The more you use, the less time you have to cook them.[p]2 things have to happen in a butt cook. 1, the temperature has to get to 190° to 200°, and 2 the butt has to go through the "plateau" stage where the connective tissue converts into liquid collagen (Jell-O) which then coats the completely overcooked dried out meat and fools your tongue into thinking the meat is still moist.[p]It usually takes about 4 hours for the meat to get to the 160° range for an average 7 to 8 lb. butt (at least the ones I've been doing) then the plateaus kicks in anywhere from 165° up to about 175°. When the meat is through that stage the temperature starts rising again and once it rises to about 180° you can jack up the temperature and get it up to final temperature pretty quickly and easily.[p]You can cook a butt at 190° to 200° at the meat for a good 24 to 36 hours, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do it that way when you can raise the temp to around 235° and then raise it again after the plateau is over. I prefer to go from 8 to a max of 14 hours, but that is just me.

1044 Posts: 93
    FatBack,
    When I first started Q'ing a few years ago, most people said 1.5 hours on brisket and 2 on butts, as an average.[p]I find about 1 hour on brisket, and 1.5 on butts. Ribs go about 4-5, unfoiled the whole time. I do know of others who vary widely in times. Weird, ain't it?[p]Thanks,
    Howard B

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    FatBack, last week I cooked two 7 pounders side byu side, 1" of water in the drip pan and steady dome temp of 250. How long? 23 hours and 45 minutes until internal temp reached 200. The best I have ever cooked!