Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna steak

bigearl
bigearl Posts: 25
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just did my first yellow fin tuna steaks (from sam's) on egg-marinated 30 minutes then flipped for another 30 minutes in 1 tbsp sesame oil, 4 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tabasco soy sauce, and a generous dusting of slap ya mama Cajun seasoning on both sides. Cooked for 2 minutes each side at 400 and they were perfect medium. Basted heavily every 1 minute. One of the best tuna steaks I've ever eaten. Just wanted to share.
huh?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Sounds good earl.  I'm a helluva long ways from an ocean here in Nebraska so most tuna we get is fresh frozen.  In my opinion fresh tuna and the BGE are a match made in heaven!  The wife and I are more to the medium rare side, but thanks much for the marinade suggestion.

Mike
    Omaha,NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    That sounds awesome, want to try that on the egg.    I have done Tuna on the "old" grill quite a bit - if you can find it, try a piece of susgar cane stuck through the middle of the tuna while cooking.
    Cookin in Texas
  • bigearl
    Didn't think about pics- but is was just as pretty as a restaurant!
    huh?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    What does " fresh frozen" mean?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    What does " fresh frozen" mean?
    I asked the fish monger at "Absolutely Fresh Seafood" the same question.  His answer was caught, processed and shipped within a specified period, usually 48 hours.  Of course, there's no way to prove that.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Exactly ... it is either fresh or it is frozen ... can't be both!

If the fish was no longer 'fresh' ... I guess you just throw it out ... ;)

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bigearl
    I've bought these frozen tuna steaks at Sams several times and they're a hit 90% of the time.  $16 for 4 8 oz. steaks ain't bad either.
    huh?