Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
Dwalls
Dwalls Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I just cooked on my egg for the first time, I cooked beer can chicken and it was incredible!!! I really need help in the temp control area though. Do you start high and come down slow or do you heat up to desired temp and close both dampers?

Amstel-Egger

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Try and catch desired temp on the way up. But do not close the dampers completely unless you are done cooking. No air, no fire.. Check out the naked whiz's web site. Tons of useful info.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • bluegrasstiger
    Options
    Simply, after you start the fire and temp begins rising, begin to close down top and bottom dampers so that you do not overshoot the desired temperature.  It takes much longer for the temp to come down than to dial it in correctly going up.

Do not close both dampers completely.  The bottom damper will have a greater effect on temp than the top, use bottom for general temp control, and then use the top to dial it in little by little.  You'll soon get the hang of what combination between top and bottom works for you.  For example, for me when cooking a boston butt to maintain about 250 dome I have the bottom vent open less than 1/4 inch and the top vent open a little more than a sliver.  For higher temps you'll have to open it up a little more to get to where you want.

There are some great threads on the forum about temperature control...and there are some real pros at dialing it in exactly.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Here you go. Check out information central.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Geaux Tigers!!!