Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex gasket Question

alex_a
alex_a Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I replaced my original gasket after my 3rd cook on the egg - pizza cook killed it at 600

BGE cust service sent me a nomex free of charge.  I changed it per instructions and had a successful rib (Car Wash Mike's recipe) and chicken cook. 

However, the lid never aligned correctly after the nomex install eventhough I moved, centered, recentered the dome multiple times. 

Today I followed the video instruction posted on this forum to align the dome and finally after 2 hours of work I gave up.  I spoke with BGE and they believe that there is something wrong my hinge or bands.  Luckily I am getting them replaced (my egg is 1 month old).

Issue is that with all the moving the dome, aligning etc after a pizza cook tonight i noticed it sheared off the gasket from the rear - probably all the friction loosened the advesive.

If i wait till the BGE cools can I prep the surface with acetone and reapply 3M adhesive or do I need another gasket?

This nomex is pretty dense - how about just leaving it on the dome only?  It seems like the folks who use a rutland do it that way without issue.  How thick/dense is the Nomex compared to the Rutland?

Thanks for any assistance

Comments