Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first timer

daveshannon
daveshannon Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
just got an extra large egg for christmas. i,m not real good with fancy recipes,but the cook book looks  like its full of hard to prepare foods.my first attempt to use the egg was a rack or two of pork ribs.i cooked them for three and a half hours on about 250 but they were kinda dry. attempt number two was thin pork chops and chicken breasts(4 of each). they were a little better.last night was my wifes birth day, so i invited several friends over and cooked 15  stakes(ribeye,newyork strip,serloin)all to perfection.maybe i,m getting better.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum.  There is a huge amount of help available here on the forum...Ribs and Boston Butts seem to be some of the favorites, and easy to cook.

There is a lot of info about ribs here.  Without knowing all of the details, it sounds like you didn't cook the ribs long enough.  Most will say 5-6 hours at 250 for spares, maybe a little less for babybacks.  There are several easy methods to cook them.

Use the search function liberally and ask a lot of questions.  You'll get lots of good help and advice on anything you can ask.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    hi, daveshannon,

Start simple, and work up. Many recipes assume the cook already knows lots, and so do not mention little directions or clues. If you don't have a guardian angel cook standing over your shoulder, you must gather experience.

Pork ribs are classic "real BBQ."  Even with an Egg, they are a bit of a challenge. BBQ is really one of the more difficult kinds of cooking. Wait a few months before you try something like a brisket.

The primary skill with the Egg is getting the temperatures you want, and holding them. Its worth the time just setting the vents at different openings, and seeing what temperatures they make.

If you get burgers, and brats, and chicken pieces, you can do a bunch of cooks that are not too hard. They will be quick, and safe at many temperatures. There are many variables. A recipe that says something like "Place burgers on grill. Flip after 10 minutes" is way too simple. You will find that turning the pieces, and moving them around the grill area is necessary.

Its an adventure. The worst that happens is every now and then, you have a lump of charcoal for dinner. With practice, that goes away. Which is why there is an old rule. Never plan on serving something to company that you haven't made before (I've never, ever done that, really!)
  • Its an adventure. The worst that happens is every now and then, you have a lump of charcoal for dinner. With practice, that goes away. Which is why there is an old rule. Never plan on serving something to company that you haven't made before (I've never, ever done that, really!)
    I made that mistake before...but only once...how embarrassing,