Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Temp Inaccurate with Maverick ET-732

AustinTxEggMan
AustinTxEggMan Posts: 15
edited January 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hey folks,

New to the forum...excited to join and discuss everything BGE.  Tonight I finally received my new meat thermometer.  I went with the Maverick ET732.  I am currently smoking a brisket and the meat thermometer is horribly inaccurate.  From past experience I know my grill temp is around 240... the Maverick is reading 214-216.  I've trying moving the thermometer, restarting... nothing...

Is it possible that the little bit of apple cider I added to the drip pan could be impacting the temp reading in the 1st few hours of smoking?  Sounds ridiculous.  

Anyone else run into this?  Suggestions.?

Thanks!

AustinTxEggman

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Expect grate temp to be 25 degrees lower than dome. Welcome to the forum.
  • I guess i should have been more clear.  Let's say the dome temp is reading 265.  From past experience with the earlier version Maverick ET73, I know the grill temp is around 240... supports what you said exactly.  Once I switched to the Maverick ET732, the dome temp is reading 265 but the digital receiver is reading a grill temp of 214.... that is definitely wrong
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Did you calibrate the new one ( or old, or one in the dome) to boiling water?
  • AustinTxEggMan
    AustinTxEggMan Posts: 15
    edited January 2012
    no.. I didn't ... I didn't see that in any of the documentation.  I would love to do it now prior to going to sleep. how does that work? 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Boil water and stick thermometmer in. It should read 212 at sea level....google the boiling point of water at your specific elevation if you are much above sea level...I'm not sure how to adjust the maverick, but for the thermometer in the dome, turn the nut behind the gauge until it reads what the boiling point should be...that thermometer usually comes off anywhere from a little to as much as 80 degrees off.
  • Thanks.. I am familar with how to calibrate the dome thermometer but I have no idea how to do anything with the maverick.  I guess the boiling test will tell me if there is a problem at least... 

FYI..i moved the maverick grill prob a little closer to center of the BGE... reading 207 now.. Driving me crazy :)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I'm gonna see if I can find the manual with mine and see if it says anything about calibration, otherwise, not sure....the only thing I can think of is the cooler meat is taking most of the heat from the grill probe and it will eventually even out once the temps stabilze.
  • Thanks..i appreciate the dialogue.  I wonder if the drip pan w/ cider is suppressing temps right at grill surface?  it will take a long time for that liquid to dissipate ?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    There is nothing in the manual...or online about calibration, but all sites that come up on the subject seem to agree that it is pretty accurate.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I would definitely think that the combo of the drip pan with liquid and the hunk of meat on the grid would contribute to lower temps at that level. As long as the dome temp stays around yor target, you should be good. Eventually, the maverick should level out with the dome temp if you're not opening the lid too much.
  • we'll see... brisket has been on there 3 hours already.  I''ve only opened it once to adjust the probe and.. am just gonna leave it now.  Drip pan definitely still had liquid in it... Good thing the BGE rocks... :) and good thing brisket can take a little variance in temps :)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    And the maverick's alarm will go off if things get to low....get some sleep....brisket will be great!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Although, I guess that's the concern....temps already reading too low.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    I just got a 732. Mine is dead on, boiling water temp was 212. I was surprised it was so accurate. Not really an answer for you but info I thought might help.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    drip pan with liquid will do that. did you notice the liquid wasnt boiling, probably wasnt even simmering, so the liquid wasnt even 212/(180 or so for a simmer)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @Fishlessman - I believe you are correct.  I woke up this morning and the probe temp read something like 190, brisket temp was 160 after about 10 hours smoked (8.6 lb brisket).  I went outside and noticed that the BGE dome temp was around 210 or so. So I got a little air flowing through a small dampener adjustment. Since I did that I have been monitoring dome vs. termometer temps.... now they are both within 2 degrees of one another. BGE temp is now 241, thermometer is 239, brisket temp is now 171.

I am going to continue to monitor. will probably no longer use any liquid in the drip pan (or a tad just so pan isn't dry.. to catch dripping and eliminate burn).

Now I have the opposite question....does it makes sense to have a dome temp MATCH a meat thermometer temp without calibrating?  SHOULD they be the same or should there be a natural diff or 15-25 degrees?

I really appreciate everyone's help!  I hope the brisket turns out well... low, low temps...he he.. might be best ever?  We'll just have to see!

AustinTx
  • fishlessman
    they should all read close in boiling water, within 5 or so degrees is close enough for me for any gage in boiling water except my thermapen. water in the pan, cold meat, to much inderect setup decreasing air flow will effect temp readings in an egg. ive had a 1000 degree fire under a big pizza stone with 30 plus pounds of cold meat on the large and none of my gages were reading over 200, they were all getting false readings. thing to do is trust the setup, trust that it was stabilized before the cook, and wait it out, eventually the gage readings get closer. after several low and slows you can just touch the dome and feel the heat and know if things are right or wrong.
    fukahwee maine

• thanks... brisket is 189... I am gonna let her go until 195 or so.. then wrap and rest.  She looks good so far!

All things being equal ... calibrated thermometers, no drip pan... would you expect the dome thermometer to be the same (+-5 degrees) as the grill thermometer?  
  • thanks... brisket is 189... I am gonna let her go until 195 or so.. then wrap and rest.  She looks good so far!

All things being equal ... calibrated thermometers, no drip pan... would you expect the dome thermometer to be the same (+-5 degrees) as the grill thermometer?  
    For what it's worth, I find that the temps are different unless the dome has been closed and the temps stabilized for several hours.

I put the temp probe over one of the legs of the placesetter at meat level to get as true a picture as possible of the temp that the meat is cooking at.  The temp will always be lower than the dome temp until the meat temp is ramping up, the drip pan contents are sizzling and the dome has been closed for a while.  Then both of the temps will be about the same.

As long as both thermometers are calibrated, you are getting true temperatures...just at different places on the egg.

• fishlessman
    clip the maverick to the dome probe, should be close there, you will find the back of the grill to be hotter than the front as well, there are hot spots.
    fukahwee maine

• Update: approx 14 hours later and a brisket temp of 196.  I opened and took a look.. Fork tender... letting her rest.  Can't wait for lunch!

thanks for all the advice folks!