Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
Sm62577
Sm62577 Posts: 30
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can't seem to get my rub to crust up and set on my baby backs,,,after 3 hours it still rubs off really easy,,is my temp too low or what? I have a DigiQ temp control that's set at 225 , should it be higher ? ..

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I smoked 3 baby back racks on a large BGE today at 225-250F for 4 - 4-1/2 hrs. and they crusted up. I put a salt-sugar-herb-spice rub on them a few days before. Does your rub have salt-sugar to help make it stick?
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options

I use a coating of yellow mustard on the ribs before putting on the rub.  It's a popular thing to do, and helps the rub stick, also helps with the bark.  Of course I also cook mine longer than 3 hours, but still at 3 hours there is a decent crust.

Frank

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I spray mine with Pam or Olive oil before I rub mine.  It works great.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Sm62577
    Options
    Ok,, I do the mustard coating part, but have to check on my rubs sugar salt content,,I guess I gotta just givem longer than 3 hrs , I don't like to foil because it makes the bark get all soft,

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Non foiled ribs at 225 will take about 5-6 hrs or until they pass the bend test. I agree with the foil so sometimes I will foil for 1 hr (between 3-4 hr) then finish w/o foil till done. I find that the foil doesn't effect the bark this way but it does help to tenderize them. You can always gradually bump up your temp after the first 3 hrs. Search for Car Wash Mikes Ribs. Great way to do ribs w/o foil and at your 225 temp to start
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Sm62577
    Options
    Thanks very much for advice, I've seen car wash mikes method , gotta revisit it..
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I think you will like that method as he doesn't foil and starts his temps very low like you do. It's a very popular method of cooking baby backs. Good luck
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY