Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
TarHeelBBQ
TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need help with pizza. Everyone I talk to says pizza is amazing on the egg. I have tried twice and failed miserably both times. My dome will only get to 350 for some reason with the plate setter. It took me 33 minutes last night to fix one sausage and pepporoni pizza. I have a few questions.

What temp?
Which pizza dough to buy?
Which sauce to buy?
What's the secret? I can do everything but pizza!! I've done burgers, steaks, tuna, chicken, mahi mahi, shrimp, pork chops, and all kinds of delicious vegetables. I've smoked ribs, elk, and chicken.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Hello TarHeelBBQ

• About 400.
    • Make my own (4 cups of flour, 1.5 + water, 1/2 tsp yeast).  make the dough a little sticky.  let rise, divide into 3, let rise again then use.
    • Make my own.  Tomato paste mixed with tomato sauce (no salt added kind)
    • I prefer the dough to be a little sticky.  I start the pie on parchment paper and remove after a few minutes (when the pie says so)
    I usually let the heat rise 500+ then add the platesetter, BGE feet and pizza stone.  Let that site for a while until the temperature is around 400 then put the pizza on.

Sometimes I also have problems with the temperature, I do try and clean the ashes and air flow as much as possible before beginning.

I hope this helps a little.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hey TarHeel BBQ I'll try to help you out...

You should have no trouble getting the grill to 1000 degrees let alone 500-600 for pizza.  Check out this post for more info:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1145428#Comment_1145428

The trick to good pizza is high-gluten flour (aka Bread dough) and plenty of kneading to create the gluten strings that make the dough chewy and full of air holes.

Here is the recipe I use:

I started with this original recipe and modified the instructions for my use.

4 1/2 cups unbleached high-gluten, bread, flour
    1 3/4 teaspoons salt
    1 package Active Dry Yeast 
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 3/4 cups water (110-115°F, measure temp)

NOTE - Make pizza crust the day before you need it for best results
    Makes three 12-15 inch pizzas
    Dough Making Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2C6v9mGuR0

1. Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar in 100-110 degree water (1 3/4 cups above) and let it grow.  Should be frothy in a few minutes
    2. Mix all  dry ingredients together,
    1. In a large bowl, add water/yeast mixture to dough and mix.  Drizzle oil into mixture and continue mixing.   Dough should be dry and have a bunch of small lumps in the bowl.
    1. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead dough until smooth.  At this point you want to knead at least 10 minutes to insure a good crust.  The dough will get tougher to knead but keep at it.
    2. Shape into a round ball and pinch bottom of dough closed.
    3. Place dough into lightly oiled bowl to keep dough round.  Coat top of dough ball with light coat of olive oil to keep from drying out and cover with plastic wrap. 
    4. Place dough into the refrigerator overnight .  It should almost double in size.
    5. The next day, about 2-3 hours before you are ready to cook take the dough out of refrigerator and divide into three equal size pieces. 
    6. Roll/shape pieces into dough balls (see video above) .  Pinch bottom of dough ball closed and place into lightly oiled cereal bowl (pinched side down).  Coat top of dough ball with light coat of olive oil to keep from drying out and cover with plastic wrap.  Set aside to rise until it doubles in size.
    7. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and shape into pizza shell.
    8. Add sauce, cheese and toppings.
    9. Cook on 600-650 degree grill with pizza stone for ~9 minutes. NOTE - I use 650 because that is the temp we used at the pizzeria I worked at.  I like the high heat because it makes the crust crisp and cooks any toppings quickly.

I shape crust on a wooden pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal.  Since I cook high heat without daisy wheel it makes it easy to peek into top of Egg with a flashlight to check progress.

I like Don Peppino sauce @ $1.50 a can and 100% mozzarella cheese.

Hope this helps,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    Thanks folks. Sorry for the late response. I have been gone for the last few days. I will try the suggestions out ASAP.

TarHeelBBQ
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I'll second the Don Peppino's!  You can get the big #10 tin for under $4 at Sam's.  For a simple and delicious sauce, I get canned San Marzano Tomatoes (if they are truly SM's they will have a DOP label on the can), drain and save the juice and then rough chop what's left.  Mix in some salt and pepper and Penzey's Pizza Seasoning (or Italian Seasoning if no Penzey's) and spread it on the dough.  Top with fresh mozzerella from your local deli/italian store (or whole milk mozz) and finish with some fresh basil after you pull it off the egg.  I wouldn't cook at less than 550* and if you cook at over 600* I would eliminate any oil or sugar from your dough as it will likely burn before the pizza is cooked.  The tomatoes cook with the pizza and along with the fresh basil on top, it gives you a bright and fresh taste, plus it's pretty simple.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have done pizza a couple of times - with results that I was happy with.    Actually got cans of the Pillsbury pizza dough that is near the biscuits in the grocery case.   Seems like by the time it was cooked on the stone with some smoke applied - thought it was some of the better tasting crust I had ever eaten.   Kept it simple -

Pork Butt Pizza

Brushed the dough with mustard

Brushed on liberal amount of bottled bbq sause

Spread pulled pork from a recent butt cook over the top

Liberal sprinkly of chopped onions, Sprinkled cheddar cheese

Cooked 20 - 25 minutes on a pizza stone at 375 or so dome temp

After slicing, placed cold Dill pickle slices on the pieces

Other recipe - used some sausage I had smoked - sliced it and put over Ragu, Cheese

Have done some other variations - but I guess my observation is the cooking on the egg will take ordinary ingredients to a much higher flavor profile.

Also, followed a tip I got from this forum.   Platesetter legs down - but wadded up 3 pieces of foil into balls and used to raise the pizza stone off the plate setter.

Cookin in Texas