Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just started 1st Butt on BGE - Need Advice

autiger2011
autiger2011 Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Root

I just started it about 30min ago and the dome temp has been bumped up to about 290-300deg. I am using the plate setter for indirect heat. The butt is not wrapped in foil. I have a drip pan under the butt with about 1/2" water to keep moisture.

I have two digital meat probes. One inside the meat and the second one is laying on the grate.

-QUESTION :: Right now the thermometer that is laying on the grate is only reading 140deg. Just above the meat it is 266deg. Should I bump the dome temp or just be patient since things just got started?

Comments

• Be Patient.  

How close to the meat is the grate probe?  It may be picking up the cooler temp of the meat.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

½ in. of water won't last long friend!

Probe shouldn't be 'lying' on the grate ... should be suspended near the grate.

Patience ... yes!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I started with 1/2 gal and I added about 1/2 gal with 15 hrs of cooking @ 225°

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited December 2011

It sounds like you put the platesetter in the egg after it reached your
    target temperature. If that is the case just leave it and things will
    equalize. Like squeezy said suspend the probe above the grate, or
    better yet find a way to clip it to the probe of the dome thermometer
    and work from the dome temperature. 

Was the drip pan and water in place during warm up also or was it added when you put the pork on?

• Sorry everyone. I didnt mean to be rude but I wasnt able to respond since my account was not activated yet.

Anyway, the problem was that the probe was too close to the meat. I moved it away and suspended it slightly above the grill and the temp was the expected 30-40deg difference from e dome.

The butt tested my patience by plateauing at 154deg for 2.5hrs, but I responded with another of round of ice cold beverages.

Finally pulled the meant around 10pm EST 195deg and wrapped in foil for another 30min.

The end result was a perfect last supper for 2011. The flavor on the outer bark was rediculous!!

Happy New Year to my new friends at BGE Forums!
  • And...it was even better after that AUsome win last night.  War Eagle.