Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp with inverted PS

Options
trevorst
trevorst Posts: 64
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I pick up the Bone in Pork Crown Roasts at Costco and slice them into 2 bone chops.
My usual way of cooking is searing them in a cast iron pan on both sides and top, stand up on the bones in the pan and finish in a 325 oven. Then I slice through the center so my wife and I have a nice bone in chop each. The pork by the way is excellent.

Question I have is Last night I did one on the BGE. Started with a fresh full load of lump, large chunks on bottom, had a nice glowing bed in 15 mins.
Seared the pork on the grid both sides and top, removed grid added plate setter legs up, replaced SS grid and pork bone side on grid.

As expected the BGE temp dropped to around 200, what surprised me was it took for ever to get the dome temp up. It took almost 45 mins to get upto 310 with the vent wide open, leaving the top vent open only dropped the temp, ended up leaving the small holes open as I was not after a real smoky meat. Coals were glowing bright red when looking into the bottom vent.

The pork ended up being done when the temp reached 310 (pork was 138 rises to 142 after resting).
Pork tasted great so I consider it a success just trying to understand my new tool.

Is this normal with the PS in the legs up position??
Should I have just damped the fire down and cooked the pork direct?.

Comments

• 2CanQ
    2CanQ Posts: 14
    Options
    During this time of year putting a cold Plate Setter in the Egg will drop the temp.  I have put the Plate setter in the Egg with the lid open while I was bring the Egg up to temp.  When the Plate setter gets warm I use gloves and take it off and set to the side.  they are so thick they it will hold heat for a short while.  I then sear the meat over the Charcoal then put the Plate Setter back in put the grate in and set the meat in the Egg.  It doesn't seem to drop the temp as much while the Egg is trying to heat up a cold Plate Setter.