Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia onions

LasVegasMac
LasVegasMac Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always heard how good these are, never tried them. I'm sure there are some jaws hitting the floor right now in GA :)[p]I am used to some very tasty sweet red's from the mid-west.[p]Anywho, the better half had standing orders to buy some if they were there. She came home with 4 yesterday.[p]This weekend I will try the 'Vidalia Onion Pie' recipe from this site (forget author, sorry) - was not to keen about it until they said "goes great with steak". Sold.[p]Any other recipes to try with these?[p]I just have always heard so much about these that I want to try a few cooks while they are in the store.[p]Thanks,[p]LVM

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    LasVegasMac,
    Cut the skin off, and part of both ends so it is flat, then cut it almost though so you have wedges that hold together at the bottom[p]Put butter on top and wrap in foil. Cook it for 1 hour at 400 or so or adjust according to heat.[p]finished product is sweet tasty and slightly carmilized [p]goes great with steak[p]In fact I put it on when I fire up the grill and leave it on through the hole TRex process...

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    MasterMason, thanks! sounds good![p]LVM

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    LasVegasMac:[p]Having just picked up eighty pounds of Vidalia onions, they are great! But what does one do in the winter? Purchase sweet onions from the western part of South America (Peru, Equator, Chile)! Sweet onions are produced from the granex hybrid seed variety and have distinctive bulbs that are light yellow in color and are thick and flat. There are three or four sweet onion production areas in America, Vidalia being the best known of them. Farmers Markets are great places to make bulk purchases if you really like sweet onions.
  • LasVegasMac,
    Costco in Vegas had Vidalia onions last week. Can't remember the price, but not too bad. They spoil easily. Best way to store is in old panty hose leg. Drop one in a leg,tie a knot, then drop in another, and so on. Then find a cool dark place and hang up your onion stash.[p]Best,
    Gary

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    LasVegasMac,
    i like them wrapped in foil. slightly hollow the top add some butter, beef broth, balsamic and some cowlick. wrap and cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • LasVegasMac, Vidalias are good any way you cook them, or eaten raw. I cooked 2 last nite on mr. egg. I just peel off the skin, brush with olive oil, give em a dustin with gilded splinters rub and put rack, cook right over fire for hour. yum yum

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    LasVegasMac,
    Vadalias are fantastic.
    Take the skin off, gut one end off, load with butter, use a little honey, wrap in foil, pop on the BGE for about an hour at most any temp 300 to 500 and you will have an enjoyable little something to compliment most main course meals.[p]Good luck [p]Kyle

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    LasVegasMac,
    Other recipes for Vidalia's ... here is my $0.02[p]I 1/4 an onion and then slice into rings. Saute in 2 tbsp of butter and carmelize (cook, stirrong constantly until the turn carmel brown, but not black burnt)[p]Once carmelized, use them in bread recipes, on pizza, in scrambled eggs, the list is endless[p]Banker John