Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! unfreezing my egg

Options
biggreenmatt
biggreenmatt Posts: 67
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Gentlepeeps:

Never minding the fact that it's minus 12 degrees out there, but for the fact that my egg is frozen shut, I would be smoking eleven pounds of brisket right now.  

Any smart ideas from eggheads from cold climes on how to unfreeze an egg?  Seems as though it's the gasket that's frozen to itself.

Thanks in advance from my brisket and I!

Comments

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Most advice seems to revolve around starting a small fire inside the bottom vent or dropping a lit fire starter through the top vent.  I've used hair dryers on a ton of stuff to unfreeze. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    I just went thru this the other day.  What I did was to light a starter cube, hold it vertically and slide it thru the top grate and drop on top of the lump.  Mind you now I can get my arm into the top vent, you might need to use long tongs or something similar.  Had it opened in 10 minutes.

Good luck.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had to cut my dome and base apart when the gasket absorbed water, and froze into a solid mass. I've used a putty knife heated with a propane torch. Once warmed, I slide it between the top and bottom gaskets, and work around. The dome has opened without tearing the gaskets when I had worked a little more than half way around.

I suppose a hair dryer on high might do the trick too.
  • biggreenmatt
    Options
    Yep, hair dryer with careful application of my chef's knife did the trick.

Now that the damage control's been done, any further suggestions on how to keep the damn thing from freezing again?
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Yep, hair dryer with careful application of my chef's knife did the trick. Now that the damage control's been done, any further suggestions on how to keep the damn thing from freezing again?
    May be a stupid question, but do you have a cover for it?  If so, you might try covering it with a large trash bag first and try to seal the bag as best you can around the bottom.  Then put on your cover.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    edited December 2011
    Options

Put something between the gasket layers - wax paper or foil might work.

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Tater
    Tater Posts: 16
    Options
    HELLO MATT,

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one this has happened to....I was not so lucky last winter when it happened to me....ruined the gasket trying to get it open.

I have since prevented it from happening with the use of a small plastic knife(like you would use for a picnic)....just lay it between the dome and bottom along the seal after the egg has cooled....just enough of a gap to prevent it freezing shut!

Grilling wild turkey tonight.....mine better not be froze!

Always having fun with the BGE!
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options

Put something between the gasket layers - wax paper or foil might work.

That is a heck of an idea!  Plastic wrap might also work. 
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Or several layers of aluminum foil folder over pretty thick. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the hot grill and plastic melting. Then what do I know - 70 and sunny.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hey Tater,

If you Egg Wild Turkey....all of the alcohol will evaporate rendering it useless!

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee