Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large or ex large debate ??????

scooterq07
scooterq07 Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
ok guys i need some help i cant decide between the two,its getting crunch time to buying one of the two.sometimes i entertain for a party.  here at home its no more than 10. will be using 3-4 times per week at least.my local dealersaysthe ex large will use alot more lump. how many buttswill the large hold?can i do a large brisket on the large,ribs???

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I would also consider 2 eggs. See what the price would be for 2 larges or maybe a large and medium. I have a large. It will cook alot more than you would think, especially if you get creative. How many in your family???
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited December 2011

i love my XL. and it just the two of us mostly.  dont have a lot of accessories.   you wont go wrong eithr way.  you cant make a small (large) grill bigger,  but you can use a small portion of the XL.

I would love to have two eggs.   the wife would kill me.  if i had two. it would be a XL and  a medium.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Total personal preference.  But seeing that you asked, I'll give you the reasons why I chose the XL over the L.  By the way, I cook mostly for just my wife and I.  I've has my XL for 1.5 years now and have still never had a want or desire to own 2 eggs.

1.) I owned a different smoker for 8 years before I bought the egg, I always wished I had more "horizonal" space.  My previous smoker was the same size as the large egg so I knew right away I would want the XL.  Sure, you can go vertical on the large, but I prefer my stuff spread out.

2.) I think it's BS that the XL burns more lump than the L.  Even if it does burn slightly more, I don't think that is any reason to get the L over the XL.

3.) I like the fact that I can use a lump reducer on my XL so I can have my meat cooking in the middle, and my sides (potato wedges, corn on the cob, etc.) around the edges at a lower "indirect" temperature all at the same time.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2011
    I went through the same debate.  Ended up with the XL on the basis of when you want the space, you only have what you own.  For me it is more about the occasional need for grilling space (e.g. dinner for 10 with bone in rib steaks) than smoking space.  For slow cooking there are racks that allow you to stack and create extra space that way. 

I haven't seen the lump usage quantified, so here is how I looked at it.  I'm sure I use more lump, the physics of heating a bigger grill are such that it will be the case.  However, once up to temp, the difference isn't going to be great.    I'm impressed at how little airflow is going through my Egg on a 40* day to hold 350*.  The coal usage is nothing compared to my Weber kettle or my old smoker. If you were to use an extra 2 bags a year to achieve the same amount of
    cooking, is that enough to be a deal changer, given you are cooking
    3x/week?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • thers 5 in my family with 2 of them being 2 teenage boys. then on the weekends theres more here then i can count. the all come here cause they know im grilling something out on the grill. im looking at about 200 bucks in price.choke thinks for help and knowledge.ive found out there is some good people still left in this world ive had nothing but good help here.
  • thers 5 in my family with 2 of them being 2 teenage boys. then on the weekends theres more here then i can count. the all come here cause they know im grilling something out on the grill. im looking at about 200 bucks in price.choke thinks for help and knowledge.ive found out there is some good people still left in this world ive had nothing but good help here.
    I can relate.  This forum is a great place for info with great people willing to share their incredible knowledge.  Advice from the pros makes me more confident when the big bucks go on the grill.
  • With 5 in the family and even more on the weekend, I know which way I'd lean.
    Good luck with your decision and happy cookin'!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

For the same money get a large and small.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have an old style XL and some other eggs. If I were starting now I would go with the XL. The lump usage isn't that different.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have 2 larges. The only reason I like it this way over the xl is so I can run different temps for different foods. Like pizza and wings or things that require a fairly large temp difference. And the large is plenty big for our family of 5.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    I was going through the same thing a few months back and decided on the L over the XL because I can lift the L by myself without hurting myself and very seriously doubt that I could do that with the XL. I wasn't about to pay for delivery...

I have not had a problem getting everything I wanted on mine yet but I rarely cook for more than 2-4. I like the idea of two for the different temperature situations though. Hmmmm, maybe another one is in my future.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • I have 2 larges. The only reason I like it this way over the xl is so I can run different temps for different foods. Like pizza and wings or things that require a fairly large temp difference. And the large is plenty big for our family of 5.
    I have four larges and two is definitely the way to go but the OP had one in his sights right now and the new large is the cat's whiskers

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    With five in your family and more on the weekends, AND you only want one egg, it is a no brainer. XL
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Two large and a small.  One pig happy family!  I had them all going the weekend before Christmas.  Bacon wrapped filets on the small, twice baked potatos  indirect on large #1 and the wok on large #2 for stir fried veggies.  Lots of versatility with multiples.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I have a large BGE and a Kamado #4 from the 1960's (I picked it up used at a garage sale for $20, it is very similar in size to the large BGE so much that the eggcessories fit it). Having 2 BGEs would be best if you could swing it. If not, I like the dome shape of the large. It seems more dome shaped than the XL. I heard the large dome shape does a better job with convection, but I never did a side by side performance test to prove it to myself. Honestly, either size would be great!
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Hey Bowhunr, love ur hatchery. Where did u get the stainless steel table.
    Thx
  • dang bowhunter u got it going on son.
  • fyrpit
    fyrpit Posts: 24
    I will admit I also started with a large..  And then I begged and begged for another one..
    Todd www.smokinfyrpit.com https://www.facebook.com/SmokinFyrPit pitmaster@smokinfyrpit.com Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal Dealer XL Big Green Egg & Large Big Green Egg Rebel 23' Smoker DigiQ DXII & Cyber Que WIFI KCBS Member & CBJ
  • I have a large, and next summer I'm selling my Traeger and getting an XL. I chose the large, because I had a Traeger, but I loved the large so much that I don't use the Traeger anymore. Go figure.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I currently have an xl and large.  My preference is the xl.  I like the added space.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Hey Bowhunr, love ur hatchery. Where did u get the stainless steel table.
    Thx
    rodent,

Follow this link for the table information.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • scooter07, Either egg will be a good purchase.  You will eventually see the need for another egg or two.  I stared out with a Large, then small and then mini....and there is only two of us 90% of the time. I have been known to have all three going at the same time.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • XL
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I'm in the boat of having two larges. As everybody said about having two is being able to cook multiple temps. Very handy! If you go with one I would go with an XL. However, as stated by others, you'll be surprised how much can be cooked on a large. It's bigger than you think.
  • I have a XL, L and Med and rarely do I recommend the XL over the L. Things like butts and ribs can be cooked ahead of time. The L also has more "toys" available for it. The XL does in fact use more lump because there is no way to heat up more air and ceramic mass without doing it.

That being said, I think the XL is what you should consider based on your stated needs. If you have to use the L for a longer period of time to cook multiple things for a party you negate the lump usage issue. You can cook a whole lot more wings and burgers at one time on a XL.

• SmokedOut
    SmokedOut Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    I just bought an XL for me and a L for my Mother. I have used both many times.
    One cook for four or more people, with some potato slices or wedges (whole meal cooking) and your decision 
    would be made for you. The XL will give you the square inches for side items. If you want to sear more than 5 new york strip steaks at once go with the XL. 

The sear zone on Green Eggs is not as large as the grate. Several inches around the parameter do not get the intense infrared. Some of the grate is resting on the fire ring and the fire ring and box are tapered. Meat has to moved toward the middle to get blasted with infrared and direct heat on all sides. Effectively the large 18.25" is really 12" or less for searing full bore. The XL at 24" is more like 18". The fire ring in the XL is shorter than the L and is less tapered. This really only applies if you like a good char on the outside and med rare or less on the inside. 

Don't worry about lump usage it's not much different. If you are going to constantly worry about it, buy a lump reducing ring or cook direct heat on one side and indirect heat on the other. You can do this by just piling up coals on one side and leaving the other side empty. You can effectively cut the charcoal in half.

Now that I have an XL, I know I can handle any social event that friends and family can throw at me.
    I cooked chicken breast for 10 people on the large and had to do two batches. I felt cramped on it. The geometry is a little different on the L vs XL. You have to reach further down into an L to flip meat on the grate.
    There was also no chance of doing side items with the chicken. Just not enough space. 
    Hope This Helps. I went threw the same indecision.
  • welp desided on the ex large and told my dealer to order me one  late last week.he told me he would order on monday talked to him on wednesday and he said he had 7 or 8 larges but could not order just one egg.does any one know how much it would cost to just order one from factor??? i live in central ky.dang im starting to fill like a dope fen wanting drugs,and the craving goes on lol.