Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

V Rib Rack

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Besides ribs, is there anything i can do with the rack that i cannot do otherwise?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I use my V-Rack for all my pork butts and roasts to elevate them off the grate to use a drip-pan.  I also saw an interesting thread recently where someone draped a very large brisket over a v-rack so that it would fit in the grill...I thought that was a great idea.
  • bhugg
    Whats the difference from that and just putting the drip-pan under the grate on the plate setter? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Its pretty much the same thing...I just figure since I have one - I might as well use it.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

The drippings can burn if the drip pan is set directly on the plate
    setter and give a harsh taste. I use 4 stacks of three pennies at the
    corners to create an air space which stop the drippings from burning. I
    also line my drip pan with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.

• bhugg
    I usually put the three green feet below my drip pans.  It is a little high, but i just trim the drip pan with my tin-snips.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I usually put the three green feet below my drip pans.  It is a little high, but i just trim the drip pan with my tin-snips.  
    That's a cool idea.  I like to use the strained leftover drippings to add a little back to pulled pork so I don't want it to burn.  I also know that I have to check a couple of times over 12 hours to make sure there is still plenty of apple juice or water in the drip pan.  I had the drip pan contents burn a couple of time and the smell is nasty.