Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toys for My Egg - Wireless Thermometer, Dutch Oven, and Salt Bricks

Papalikes
Papalikes Posts: 25
edited December 2011 in Off Topic
EggHeads, I have been given some giftcards for X-Mas and am thinking about getting a good wireless thermometer and a cast iron Dutch Oven. 
1)  Anyone know of a good wireless thermometer for use with a Large?
2)  When it comes to a Dutch Oven, should I look for one with legs or without legs?  I have a cast iron cooking grate, so I am not worried about the weight of either.
3)  As well, I was given a salt brick for grilling.  Has anyone had good luck with one of those, know any good recipes, or any tricks I need to know?

Thanks All, and Merry Christmas!

Comments

• Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    I've got the Maverick ET-73 and it works like a charm. If I replace it I'll get the Maverick ET-732, because itso probes are rated for higher temps and has a greater remote range. As far as a dutch oven....I don't have one and haven't used one since I was in boy scouts. Let me know how the salt block works. Its on my short list.
  • Explode if heated too quickly, got it.  Appreciate the tip on that one...
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Another vote for the ET-732.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I use Himalyan salt blocks (2"x4"x8") for cooking fish. I typically use them on my gas grill not my egg. I place the bricks on the grill prior to lighting the grill. This is so they heat at a steady pace rather than tossing them on a hot grill. Once they are at max temp for several minutes, I start cooking. I usually just lightly oil the fish and crack some pepper on the filets. So far, it is my favorite method to grill fish. I do not buy the more expensive sized bricks. If I need more cooking area, I just use more bricks (I bought 4).
  • Amother vote for the Maverick ET-732, I have the 73 and it works well, the 732 is an improvement. As for the Dutch oven I use a camp style with the legs so there is an air gap when you go indirect by placing it on a platesetter.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I use Himalyan salt blocks (2"x4"x8") for cooking fish. I typically use them on my gas grill not my egg. I place the bricks on the grill prior to lighting the grill. This is so they heat at a steady pace rather than tossing them on a hot grill. Once they are at max temp for several minutes, I start cooking. I usually just lightly oil the fish and crack some pepper on the filets. So far, it is my favorite method to grill fish. I do not buy the more expensive sized bricks. If I need more cooking area, I just use more bricks (I bought 4).

What is max temp. for using the salt blocks?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I have the older Maverick ET-73 and it has served me very well.  I use it every time for low and slow. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Lodge makes great cast iron products. I'd get a 4 quart without the legs, then you can use it on a variety of grill set ups. Also another vote for the ET-732 and a Thermapen.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • If anyone is ever in the Chattanooga, TN area...there is a lodge factory store in South Pittsburg, TN, which is just north of Chattanooga on I-24.  If you are a cast iron fan you would love this store.  Very good prices and everything cast iron.
  • Squeezy - I don't have a surface thermometer, but I would guess my gas grill gets them to about 700 degrees. My grill has four IR burners that I ramp up to max temp for salt block cooking. Here is a link to a website that said they have tested there's from 0-900 deg. F.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I will try to post a pic later, but it seem like I can't attach pics if I post with my phone.
  • Here is a pic of the salt block in action cooking a nice piece of Opah, lightly brushed with olive oil and seasoned with cracked pepper.  I have not tried the salt on the BGE yet, mainly because I usually do not cook my fish on the egg.

• How come that pic is not on an egg?
    LET'S EAT
  • Flamethrower - Yeah, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I use the salt blocks on the gasser for fish.  I never tried the salt blocks on the egg.  I feel that the BGE smoke does the trick by itself and the salt blocks are not needed there.  However, to get better flavor on a gasser, the salt blocks (or cedar planks) help a lot. 
  • I got the BGE cast iron Dutch oven this year and made baked beans in it yesterday and a pulled pork...loved the Dutch oven...I have an Oregon Scientific remote thermometer and I do NOT reccomnded it ..will be replacing...very finicky- good luck
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    The Dutch oven is osome I lovemaking bake bean and stews with it! Also for thermometer I would go with a maverick ET732 and thermapen. Thermapen are all on sale this time a year and the maverick I found it to be cheaper at grillgrate store. If you get the duct oven don't forget to season it before first use!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Squeezy - I don't have a surface thermometer, but I would guess my gas grill gets them to about 700 degrees. My grill has four IR burners that I ramp up to max temp for salt block cooking. Here is a link to a website that said they have tested there's from 0-900 deg. F.

http://www.saltnews.com/cooking-with-himalayan-salt-plates-blocks-bricks-platters/

I will try to post a pic later, but it seem like I can't attach pics if I post with my phone.

Thanks for the info ... in the past I have seen only the decorative salts in crystal stores not the cooking varieties. Not easy to find around here, so not likely be getting one.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I have a Lodge dutch oven that I use primarily for making roux for gumbos and etouffees but also other things including beans on the egg.  It is a smaller one with no legs.  I absolutely love it.  You would have to whup my _ss to get that thing away from me.  In fact, I won't even let my wife touch it much less cook with it.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Sorry, I caught it after another read.
    LET'S EAT
  • Thnks for the recommendations everyone.  I placed my Amazon order for the Maverick ET-732 this morning.  Also hit Bass Pro Shops for the 4 quart Lodge Dutch oven.  The 5 quart was only $9 more, but my spidey-senses told me to stick with the 4.
  • Lynde
    Lynde Posts: 12

I just purchased the Digi DX2 from BBQ Guru - have not made a butt or brisket yet, but have toyed with the system.  Very easy to use and like it so far.  It has a blower to keep the heat at the programmed temperature, a programable meat thermometer and the internal dome temperature.  BGE has the BBQ Guru package one for them with the egg logo - website is www.bbqguru.com

• I ued my new 732 for the first time tonight. I really like it. What a great accessory, it really gives piece of mind. Here in Minnesota it is easy to delay checking temps, now I won't have to worry. Accuracy was great out of the box too.