Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Egger

Options
QJoe
QJoe Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All -[p]Just picked my first egg up from Seasonal Distributors, (sorry I missed the eggfest this year, next year for sure!). First, I'd like to say thanks to all the great folks there who took care of my order. You guys were great and so worth the 90 min drive from my house. My local dealer, who shall remain nameless, (located in Herndon VA), was a pain to deal with and wanted about 500 bucks more for the large egg and eggcessories![p]Got everything put together yesterday and fire'd 'er up for my first cook. I TREX'd a ribeye, and boy was it worth the wait!!! (I've been procrastinating about buying the egg for about a year now - shame on me!!) I don't think it was perfect, but it was seared great, and very tasty and juicy! Pics at the link below.[p]The temp in the egg got to about 730, and then started to drop off a bit. I had both drafts wide open. Is this normal? I probably just need to practice building the fire. Anyway, I seared at around 690, and was able to hold the egg around 425 - 450 for the remainder of the cook.[p]Chicken Thighs and Wings tonight...[p]- QJoe
[ul][li]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jbovaird/album?.dir=b479[/ul]

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    QJoe,[p]You'll find the fires require two things: Fuel and oxygen. If the fire peaks at a certain temp, make sure that your fire box opening and bottom vent door are aligned and that you've got enough fuel (lump) in the old Egg.[p]I like to start with the firebox just under full. It creates a nice margin for error if I need it, have to delay the cook, or whatever.[p]HTH and Welcome aboard!
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    QJoe,
    Good looking steak there. Don't be shy with your lump. It looks like you didn't have very much in there to start with. Fill that bad boy up to the top of the fire ring and you will LOVE the nice sear that sir eggsalot will put on that steak. Welcome to the forum, and keep on cooking. Check out www.dizzypig.com for some killer rubs, and I think they might have a chicken thigh recipe that you will like.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Options
    QJoe,[p]I should have looked at your pictures before I typed. I would definately recommend a bit more fuel when you're looking for high temps. Fill it at least as high as the vent holes in the firebox and see what you get.[p]Also, are you sure you want to leave something with wheels on the lawn? If you get some rain, she may sink, tilt, or fall over, and I'd hate to hear that ole humpty cracked his dome hitting the side of the house after some sort of monsoon. Just my two cents...[p]Good luck and happy egging.
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    QJoe,
    It looks like you did not start with enough lump. Not much ash there. Searing requires a good amount of lump to get around the 850 deg area. I usually go at least to the top of the fire box. Also, if that is vinyl siding I would move your egg farther away from the house. You should see some of the fire that can roar out of the top of the egg when searing. That stuff melts pretty easy. I saw a girl melt a huge area on her house with just a gas grill. Also you may get a black area due to the constant smoke. Welcome and enjoy!

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    QJoe, Welcome! Just a quick note, save the picture with the steak and corn. Six months from now, take a quick look at the picture and surprise .... your egg life will flash before your eyes. It's a pleasant, all be it, enlightening trip. Remembering what you did, didn't do, and how far you've come with the egg. I did it and it brought a smile. You will also remember, dang, my egg did look new and shiny at one time. LOL[p]Keeping it in the fairway most of the time, Tom
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' QJoe,
    and welcome, these folks are right, no such thing as too much lump.
    Have fun.
    bruce

• QJoe
    Options
    Crab leg -[p]Thanks for the heads up on the amount of lump and DizzyPig! Gonna order me some of those delicious sounding rubs. Any particular favorites?[p]Thanks.[p]- QJoe

• QJoe
    Options
    Mark Backer -[p]Thanks for the heads up on the amount of lump. And good point on the egg standing on the grass!! I plan to build a deck sometime soon, (if I have any money left over from EGGing), so I might get one of those grill mats for the time being....[p]Thanks.[p]- QJoe
  • QJoe
    Options
    LOG -[p]Thanks for the tip - even more important because the siding in the pic is actually on the side of my neighbors house!!! :-)[p]- QJoe
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    QJoe,[p]All of them are worth a try and are very good, but my favorites and the most versatile are raging river, tsunami spin, dizzy pig red-eye, cow lick and dizzy dust.[p]Heck, at that point, just buy them all. You won't be disappointed. We love them!![p]thanks to chris and qfan!!
  • QJoe
    Options
    Sandbagger -[p]I'm a bit of a pack rat anyway so I'll definitely be keeping my old EGG pics. I'll keep posting them to that site, (in my profile), if you're interested checkin from time to time and see how I'm doing![p]Comments are always welcome.[p]Cheers.[p]- QJoe
  • QJoe
    Options
    badbruce -[p]I'm gonna load 'er up and have another try!![p]Thanks.[p]- QJoe
  • LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    QJoe,
    No problem. Man two years of Egging and reading this forum and I think this was my first helpful post. I think I'll go reward myself with a liquid lunch.
    Good luck!
    Jeff/LOG

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    QJoe,
    Congrats and welcome. A lot of fine folks here. Always willing to help out with anything. Not just egging.[p]Mike

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Yeah, what he said. They are all good, and as you stick around here, you will see that there are many folks here on the forum that offer rubs, sauces, eggcessories for the egg, etc... A finer bunch of people you will be hard pressed to find anywhere.
    Seth

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    QJoe,[p]What they said about more lump. Remember, once you're done with the cook you close the top & bottom drafts -- and the fire goes out. Not like other grills where you need to soak the charcoal down to keep it from burning away![p]Tom