Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GrillGrate user tips/opinions

Eggzellent
Eggzellent Posts: 238
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're about to get the hard anodized version for our XL and are wondering what the latest consensus is in regards to this product. Looking at the pics; it does not look as if we'll be able to set them very far down into the unit; which will obviously force us to create a bigger 'fire' to get things sizzling on some cooks (which I haven't had much luck with to date; averaging 300-350F; yet taking it easy on the virgin gasket).
Does anybody sear their meat on the XL down close to the coals on a triangle hangar (or something hanging even closer) and then transfer up to the GrillGrates?
And finally...what is the secret to getting this new dome style screaming hot...can you still do so with the lump reducing ring installed (not enough lump?)...and should sticking a weed burner in there for 30 seconds or so most always do the trick?
I've got the Harbor Freight model and I'm sorry but it's darn near scary to squeeze that valve more than halfway open in that curved bowl with your arm outstretched! :ohmy: :blush:

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I have had my xl about a month, not the new dome. Dealer didn't knkow anything about it when I asked about it after purchased.

It takes about 25-30 minutes to get the temp up over 350, It sounds a littel weird, but if I close the lower vent about half way, it seems I can get the temp to go wayup quickly.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    "hard anodized version for our XL"...sorry, not sure what you are talking about.

I have an XL and cooked on one of the new domes this weekend at OKC Eggfest. Getting to 500 degrees was no problem. Take off the cast iron daisy wheel or at least rotate it open. Just opening the daisy vents will not give you enough air flow. I like the new dome design but did not feel there was much change in the way it cooked. I did not use any kind of an elevated grid this weekend but I'm sure it would give more room and more air flow.

My XL has no problems hitting temps off the guage. With a fire box full of lump I would never walk away...again.

Yes, I have used a hanger rack to lower the cooking level in the egg for high temp cooking. This works well with the lump reducer as well.
    Good luck,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggzellent
    I'll try that and thanks...I'm assuming that your top is either off or that the CI daisy wheel is wide open before you make that change (at the 25 minute mark?).
    Also, do you use the cast iron firebox grate? I haven't found anything trustworthy enough to continually insert or lift it out of there without it possibly slipping just once and costing me a bunch of heartache.
    I'm really looking forward to trying these Grill Grates; yet am wondering just how hot the dome temp needs to be before I start 'searing' anything. This unknown would certainly help reduce my lump usage and overshooting during temp. stabilization.
  • Eggzellent
    Photo Egg wrote:
    "hard anodized version for our XL"...sorry, not sure what you are talking about.

The GrillGrates come in a coated (low temp) and hard anodized (high temp) version.

Thanks for the reply; I'll respond to your points later...
  • Photo Egg
    Ok, googled them. Remember past posts.
    If I were wanting good high temp sear I would use hanger rack and cast iron of some kind.
    The grillgrates look great for stopping flame up on gas grills. Seems like using any kind of a raised grid on the egg would work better.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stevesails
    Are you saying that you are not using the cast iron firebox grate? you should only have to take that out if you want to do a thorough clean under it, the Lump goes ontop of the cast iron firebox grate, (it has all of the half inch holes in it) I am going to take an old screwdriver, bend it 90 degrees to use as a tool to lift the grate out.

Even then if you have an ash tool you shouldn't have to remove it at all..

If you are not using the grate, that would explain your heat problem, you are not getting any air under and through the fire.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Eggzellent
    Photo Egg wrote:
    "..I have an XL and cooked on one of the new domes this weekend at OKC Eggfest. Getting to 500 degrees was no problem. Take off the cast iron daisy wheel or at least rotate it open. Just opening the daisy vents will not give you enough air flow. I like the new dome design but did not feel there was much change in the way it cooked. I did not use any kind of an elevated grid this weekend but I'm sure it would give more room and more air flow.

My XL has no problems hitting temps off the guage. With a fire box full of lump I would never walk away...again.

Yes, I have used a hanger rack to lower the cooking level in the egg for high temp cooking. This works well with the lump reducer as well.
    Good luck,
    Darian

Thanks, Darian...it's nice to hear somebody compare the two XL designs. Maybe it's the lump I'm using; as I've taken off the top and opened her up...yet maybe I'm not giving the fire enough time to heat everything up (I figured 15-20 minutes with the weed burner as a catalyst and I'd be fighting to get the thing under control).
    Maybe these Grill Grates haven't either caught on with the Egging community or aren't all that they're cracked up to be? (I just can't see how they wouldn't work as advertised....).
  • Eggzellent
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Ok, googled them. Remember past posts.
    If I were wanting good high temp sear I would use hanger rack and cast iron of some kind.

Darian

Hope that I'm not bee boppin' around off-topic...but...what kind of cast iron pan (less handle) is being used to get down into the bowels of this bigger egg (maybe even set on the lump reducer ring)...and are users simply using silicon gloves (too hot?) to get it out?
  • troutin
    troutin Posts: 2
    This is my first post ever, so I hope I'm doing this right. I've used GrillGrates for several years on my gas grills, and have recently purchased a set for my LBGE, and I'm here to say that this product is really unique. Great sear, controls flames, and the grate tool that comes with it is pretty neat too. That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Clint
  • Eggzellent
    stevesails wrote:
    Are you saying that you are not using the cast iron firebox grate? you should only have to take that out if you want to do a thorough clean under it, the Lump goes ontop of the cast iron firebox grate, (it has all of the half inch holes in it) I am going to take an old screwdriver, bend it 90 degrees to use as a tool to lift the grate out.

Even then if you have an ash tool you shouldn't have to remove it at all..

If you are not using the grate, that would explain your heat problem, you are not getting any air under and through the fire.

:blush::blush::blush::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Wellll....Hello, Mr. Obvious! Long time listener...first time caller! (LMAO!) :lol:

I couldn't play the DVD on my recorder and (being a guy) skimmed over the instructions...so let's just pretend that I never asked! :whistle:;)

How about those Grillgrates, Hmmm? :P (I can't believe this...thanks buddy Steve!).
  • Eggzellent
    troutin wrote:
    This is my first post ever, so I hope I'm doing this right. I've used GrillGrates for several years on my gas grills, and have recently purchased a set for my LBGE, and I'm here to say that this product is really unique. Great sear, controls flames, and the grate tool that comes with it is pretty neat too. That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Clint
    That's what I wanted to hear Clint (for $100 spent) and thanks for taking the time to do so. Please feel free to educate the rest of us further on how they translate over to your BGE.
  • stevesails
    As soon as you mentioned the fire grate, i figured something was wrong, put it together correctly, fire the bugger up, and see what happens..

Don't let it get too hot, It will take hours to get it from 450 to 300.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Photo Egg
    With the XL Egg you can use the cast iron grate made for the large egg made by BGE resting on a drop down rack. I normally get a hot enough fire with a full load of lump using the standard BGE grid on the fire ring. I then move to a raised grig to finish or roast.
    I do like the high temp silicon gloves or welding gloves to move hot items around.
    If you would rather use a solid cast iron pan you can cut off the handle if it gets in the way. I have a couple I have cut to fit different eggs. They can be found cheap at the discount stores or sporting good stores such as Academy.
    And yes, I have tossed a small grid directly on the lump and seared. Many on this forum have put steaks directy on the lump. Many options.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • troutin
    troutin Posts: 2
    I have to admit, I've only been cooking on my LBGE for about 6 months. As I stated before, the GrillGrates I used on my gas grill was a huge success. So much so that I bought at least 20 units to hand out to clients. I've recently purchased GrillGrates for my egg, and am finding some of the same successes I had with my gas grill. I was a little apprehensive to adopt the grates for my egg for various reasons, but I'm glad I did.
    I don't do any of the fancy cooks that most of you guys do, I tend to stick to the basics for now. The honey mustard chicken we do doesn't burn as much, because the grate is between the meat and flame. Steaks have a wonderful sear marks without the char.
    Most of you guys on here post some amazing things that have really helped me. My experience with GrillGrates has been extremely positive, hope this helps.
    Clint
  • Photo Egg
    I can see the advantage in a gass grill. Reduce fire flares is a big help in a gass grill.
    Have you used in your Egg at this point.
    The Eggs are fairly air tight and flames are not a big problem as soon as the dome is shut unless you are high temp cooking a bunch of food with much fat such as a rack of ribeyes.
    I'm not kicking the Grillgrates.
    I just don't know how they would help you in the Egg.
    The design might let you sear at a lower temp?
    Thanks for your information,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I've never seen one in use, but I think it would be a waste of money for an egg since flare-ups are not an issue. Just get the CI grid from BGE ;) .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Eggzellent
    stevesails wrote:
    As soon as you mentioned the fire grate, i figured something was wrong, put it together correctly, fire the bugger up, and see what happens..

Don't let it get too hot, It will take hours to get it from 450 to 300.

Thanks again, Steve..and kudos to my fellow eggheads for not asking if I indeed bumped my head! :blush: (although I certainly deserve it and enjoy the occasional 'rib' myself). ;)

Very interesting to me that there are different takes on the Grill Grates. I still have my portable and large gas grill; so it will be interesting to see what the fuss is all about while being able to switch back and forth with the narrow grids. I can't imagine why one couldn't use these on primitive campfires as well. Meat juice running down into the channels and cooking back up through the meat seems like a unique flavoring technique to me when combined with the charcoal...yet I'd like to hear more of the great advice given already on both sides (thanks everybody).
  • Howdy Everyone

I have had had my Egg about a year and a half, great cooker all the way around, I bought the Grillgrates and do like to use them, one thing I really like is when you open up the egg you don't have to worry about burping it, I always use gloves anyhow, but I seem to be able to sear at lower temps, and everyone is right the egg does not flare up like regular grills, the BGE on its own is a great machine for all that have and use it, the Grillgrates is just another tool to compliment it, I do like the way that they are pretty much easy to clean, nonstick and keep the Egg from barking at you as you might open it up too fast, just my two cents, you mileage may vary, eveyone has their likes and dislikes, oh yeah they work great on my hibachi also.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I use grillgrate from http://www.grillgrate.com/ if thats what your talking about. I use them all the time and love it! Fish don't stick and the meat actually comes out more juicier and you never get any flare ups! It also make osom grill marks for presentation. I highly recommend them.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • There was a mention about a new dome for the XL above in this thread. What was changed and how do I know if I have the updated dome or not? Just got an XL for Christmas and love it so far.