Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome vs Grate Temps

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been discussed and debated a bunch of times.  I just got a BBQ Guru (CyberQ II) and today I cooked a whole chicken.  I had the placesetter in and put the pit probe next to my v-rack that had the chicken in it.  I set the pit temp at 265 and the dome temp consistently read 220.  Is this differential normal?  I calibrated the dome thermometer so I know its accurate.  The Guru operated and held temps exactly as it should have - the grate temp stayed steady at 265 for over three hours.  I still have some experimenting to do with the Guru but just wanted a sanity check on the temp differential.

Comments

• bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    I had the same happen the other day when i did a pork shoulder.  My dome temp was always 250 and my grate temp, according my my ET732, was around 280ish for a large portion of the cook.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • joe@bge
    Options

I've read the threads talking about the temp variances and it seems to be all over the place, but I guess there are several variables that go into this.  Placesetter in/out, how much lump, etc.  I'll be doing some more cooks soon, so I'll see how my results turn out.

• joe@bge
    edited December 2011
    Options

My girlfriends Dad just bought a ET732 BGE remote thermometer...and his variance is close to an 80 degree difference (hotter on the grate than at the dome) - also with a properly calibrated dome thermometer.  I looked at the ET732 and there doesn't appear to be a way to calibrate anything.  He even took his first one back to the dealer because he thought it was broke.  The new one is basically the same way.

I know that there is supposed to be a difference - just seems like 45-80 degrees is a lot of difference - especially when most of the posters are reporting 25-30 degree swings.