Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me, my BGE lid falls off everytime it gets hot!!!

bgenut
bgenut Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
The metal ring that holds the top to the bottom keeps slipping off when my egg gets hot. I have tried adjusting it and it keeps happening. Any ideas on how to fix this???

Comments

• You need to really crank down on the nuts/bolts until the bolt bends.  The lid will not break.  Do the same for the bottom too.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Yes, what Trout said.  If you think you've tightened them too much, tighten them some more.
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    i have tighten the bolts when hot. just tightened them enough til it doesnt feel loose any more. bge frowns on this technique but i  cook at 1200 degrees at times, the dome gets LOOSE. dont crank them when its hot, just snug, and it has to be hot for a while, get it hot and let it sit there and take in the heat for a good hour to let the bands expand
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the heads-up!  After a half-dozen cooks on my new large I checked the bolts.  They weren't floppity loose but they certainly had room to tighten.  I'll check it hot for "snug" next run.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if the bolts aren't bent, they aren't tight enough
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    bayside, tighten them til they bend, tighten again in a couple weeks, tighten again after a few months, check them once a year, it doesnt need to be done hot and bge doesnt recomend tightening hot. new bands seem to need tightening a couple times through the process to seat them selves
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it