Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Interesting find at Bass Pro shop

odie91
odie91 Posts: 541
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
http://www.basspro.com/Smoke-Canyon-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill/product/1109150501115/254095#spec-tabGrills

Saw this in the store, price includes the table.  Seemed of similar quality build as the BGE.  The sales rep said they just started selling them over the summer.   Can't find any reviews online yet.   Interesting....

Made in China though... so definitely would be concerned about stuff like lead, cadmium, and the usual toxic stuff they like to put in products they sell to the US....

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Let me know if you see one of these:

Holy crap is that funny. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    LOL... Quote "My wife would like one of these"...

Now seriously back to the original topic...
    That looks a lot like the one Home Depot carries and theirs is made in China as well. I didn't think the quality of theirs was anywhere close to the Egg. It was chipping and flaking setting in the store.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • You get what you pay for and they are not Egg quality. 
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • ...but the original design came from china (some 3k years ago) LOL

Not to say Mexico (quality has increased exponentially in recent years) is many times better than China but a country that allowed lead paint in kids toy makes me a little nervous if i am buying something to cook on from that same country.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2011

That looks similar to this Chinese offering from Cabela's, a friend of mine bought one to bake on. If anyone is interested, I will ask her what she thinks is good and bad about it. I know she liked the price!

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1167691&type=product&WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

Edit; I copied my friends email regarding this unit below:

I love the black egg. Very fuel efficent and easily gets up to 700 degrees for making pizza. Comes with everything you need, the cart which is well made, shelves, pizza stone and a nice little ash scraper. Initially I was going to complain about the felt gasket thingy that I fried during the first pizza cook but I replaced it with the BGE gasket and fried it too so I guess neither are good at 700 degrees. Doesn't seem to make a difference with or without it so I didn't buy another one.

The only other thing is that for ME ... when the lid is open all the way I can't reach it - it's too tall. I have to use the ash rake to get the handle. Fortunately it is balanced well so I can get it down to where I can reach and it will stay there.

First time out I found it very easy to adjust temperature at a range from 250 to 700 degrees to within 5 degrees using the air vents. The thermometer was ver accurate when compared with the two I normally use with print big enough even for me to read without burning my nose.
    For less than $400 it easily compares to the BGE in use. We still need see how it holds up to cold winters outdoors all the time then getting super hot. Hopefully it doesn't explode or something.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I've read about the one at Bass pro, and some other stores as well, and the common thread seemed to be they leak air too much to hold low and slow temps.  Of course, this is just going off other peoples words so now it's second hand info.  I'm  not sure if it was gasket related, or actual parts not matching up correctly, but it seemed everyones concerned had to do with leaks in regards to low temps, and in trying to put out the fire by closing the vents.

Since some eggers use no gaskets, I'd imagine there were either some really bad leaks from fitment, or they were just not optimizing the equipment.

Frank
  • Like so many products built on the cheap over seas it appears this is made first to ship inexpensively.  I have caved on products like this in the past.  The "nest" looks to be built in pieces to defray shipping costs.  I am going to guess that if you were to pic that nest up you would find it to be made out of pig metal.  Low quality thin walled metal that will rust easily.  Additionally, I am guessing the pieces would not fit together properly. The result, you would need to bend and flex the pieces to get them to fit.  This would loosen the paint and thus begins the corrosion process.
    Just seems to be that the $200 savings is not worth the risk long term.  
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I saw his at Bass Pro a few weeks ago, I lifted up the lid expecting some weight to it and the handle nearly flew out of my hand because it was so light. Complete hunk of crap. Get the Broil King Keg if the BGE is too expensive.
  • I noticed the bottom draft door does not open to clean. You would have to get a shop vac to clean this grill out.
  • When I looked at these, they were a discontinued unit. The clerk said that they would order one in from another store, for me to have a look at. He gave me a tracking order and said 7-10 days for shipping. 2 Weeks later it turns out that it had never been shipped, so I never saw it, but I don't believe it would be the same quality. Probably thinner ceramics, cheaper cart for sure. It would be very similar to a line that BBQ Galore would handle. The sell the BGE and a knock off of the Egg.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Love the Wonder Boner
    :-c
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    From what i remember it was about the same thickness of a BGE but the ceramics must have been way less dense or some really cheap grade. The BGE has some nice heft to it, this thing was just a lightweight. I don't even think it's worth a hundred bucks.