Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need serious Gasket Help

Options
Prainey
Prainey Posts: 2
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Good Morning,

I have had my Egg for about 8 months now and love it.  About five months in after three different nights of pizzas at around 450-500 my original gasket melted and was torched.  I went to my egg dealer and replaced it with what they told me was the hight temperature gasket.  Here are the instructions they gave me which I followed 100%.  1)Remove old gasket using acetone to ensure all debris is off of the ceramic. 2) Install new gasket with 3m adhesive and allow to dry for 24 hours 3) Do two to three low temp cooks to ensure the lid does not stick, if you were to go straight to a high temp cook.

So I completed all those steps, then used the egg for about a month with no issues.  Thanksgiving Turkey was great, last weekend I did a 18 hour brisket, all turning out fine.  Then last night the kids wanted pizza, so two pizzas done at 450 degrees.  On the second one when opened the lid the seal on top and bottom had 90% come undone.

Of course part hit the fire and is torched so I need to replace once again.  Any advice on why the gasket failed at 450 degrees but had workded fine for cooks 350 and below.  I thought that was why the egg was great being to cook at low and high temps but the gasket issues has me starting to wonder.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Try cooking without it. Lots do and works fine for them. Mines in pretty bad shape. I got a free one when Kamado Joe was handing them out. I guess some day I'll get around to replacing it. That or you can try to get a Rutland or some people have made a gasket out of high temp RTV sealant.  Here's mine, you can see how bad it is, but it holds temp fine anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    Another oneimage

Rowlett, Texas

• forty_crk
    Options

I have had my egg for 6 years.  I cook slow/ low and grill a lot.  My gasket looks just like "Griffin's".  I take may grill brush and rub it from time to time it works fine for me.  I can't really help on why your gasket came off...my question would be how hot do you let the fire get before you close your lid? If you are letting it get a really good/high/hot flame before closing the lid it "maybe" causing your problems witht eh gasket coming off.  My gasket isn't peeling off it has just been burnt mostly and I have let my fire get to hot a time or two or three...get to talking and not paying attention.  I would recommend replacing the gasket or trying one of the sealants that others on here recomend...but watch your heat with the lid open when getting your fire started.

I cook pizza's all the time...I cooked 7 last night.  Yes seven.  I cook mine at 350.  I have read that you shouldn't get the plate-setter above 400 or 450.  the high temps can cause the plate-setter to get really fragile and crack easily.  I have recently broke one of the legs on my place setter...this was more my fault...got a little complacent over time.  My $.02 is be careful with the high temps and the place-setter.  This is just a word of advise...I have used the place-setter several times w/ temps up to 450 without any problems.  I have a friend who has cracked 3 place-setters on his XL this year.  He says he has never cooked with it over 350 normally lower.  He only uses it to cook slow nad low. 

By the way I have a BGE-L...and I love it!!!

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Little Steven
    Options

Griffin,

You have lots of pieces there. More than I do

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I cook at high heat sometimes for steak and pizza and eventually fried the gasket (4 months old). I bought a nomex which has a peel off adhesive that has been working well for me.  Here's the link:

http://www.high-que.com/High-Heat-Grill-Gaskets-Products/b/2991137011

Make sure you do a good job on getting the old one off.  I was careful when I used a roloc disk (5 of them) and an air powered drill. I then used acetone to finish the cleaning.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I finally broke down and replace one of mine after close to a year of service - it was missing chunks etc.  I took the old one off, cleaned the old one off good, replaced with a stock one and haven't had any issues.  I replaced during warmer summer months - I don't know if that plays a factor with adhesion, but mine has stayed on through countless cooks with some steak cooks that got into the 600 degree range.
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options
    I have both a large egg and a large Grill Dome.  The Grill Dome is about 6 years old and still running with its original gasket, meanwhile my egg which is only 2 years old has had 4 gaskets already.  It has me a bit concerned also.  Each cooker gets treated equally since the egg has arrived, as far as lows and slows and high temp cooks.

If I were to do this all over again, I'd be hard pressed to consider another egg just due to this gasket issue.  Just my 2 cents worth.
  • forty_crk
    Options
    Logger- what temps do you cook your pizza's? with or without the palce setter?  I have just been using what has worked for me.  350 w/ place setter for about 12 mins unless its a thick crust then 15 or till done.  by the way I use store bought crust...I plan to start making my own crust soon.
    Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Put a Rutland gasket on with Permatex Ultra Copper (both together under $20 bucks) and you won't ever have to worry about it again.  It's that simple.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Little Steven
    Options

I have had my egg for 6 years.  I cook slow/ low and grill a lot.  My gasket looks just like "Griffin's".  I take may grill brush and rub it from time to time it works fine for me.  I can't really help on why your gasket came off...my question would be how hot do you let the fire get before you close your lid? If you are letting it get a really good/high/hot flame before closing the lid it "maybe" causing your problems witht eh gasket coming off.  My gasket isn't peeling off it has just been burnt mostly and I have let my fire get to hot a time or two or three...get to talking and not paying attention.  I would recommend replacing the gasket or trying one of the sealants that others on here recomend...but watch your heat with the lid open when getting your fire started.

I cook pizza's all the time...I cooked 7 last night.  Yes seven.  I cook mine at 350.  I have read that you shouldn't get the plate-setter above 400 or 450.  the high temps can cause the plate-setter to get really fragile and crack easily.  I have recently broke one of the legs on my place setter...this was more my fault...got a little complacent over time.  My $.02 is be careful with the high temps and the place-setter.  This is just a word of advise...I have used the place-setter several times w/ temps up to 450 without any problems.  I have a friend who has cracked 3 place-setters on his XL this year.  He says he has never cooked with it over 350 normally lower.  He only uses it to cook slow nad low. 

By the way I have a BGE-L...and I love it!!!

I've cooked at over 1000* with the platesetter in. Heat won't hurt it and it looks like new after

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Options

Griffin,

You have lots of pieces there. More than I do

I should, you've been around a lot longer than me. I was just showing what mine looks like and it hasn't affected the performance of the egg at all. But you can see parts where there is no gasket left at all.

Rowlett, Texas

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Put a Rutland gasket on with Permatex Ultra Copper (both together under $20 bucks) and won't ever have to worry about it again.  It's that simple.
    +1

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Go Bucks!
    Options

Did you leave the top half with out a gasket?

I have to replace mine too.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options

Did you leave the top half with out a gasket?

I have to replace mine too.

Only need to put the Rutland on one or the other (bottom or lid).

If I ever get another egg, I'll immediately remove the original gasket and put the Rutland only on the lid.  That way you avoid getting spills and ash all over it -- but that doesn't seem to really hurt it anyway, just looks better.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I second all the Rutland gasket replies.  I've had mine now for 2 years and will never go back.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited December 2011
    Options

I'll immediately remove the original gasket and put the Rutland only on the lid.  That way you avoid getting spills and ash all over it -- but that doesn't seem to really hurt it anyway, just looks better.

That's a very good point.  If I had it to do over again I would do just as you described.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I have Rutlands on both my eggs and they are awesome - pizza cooks no problem...I couldn't keep a gasket (Nomex or Felt) on the BGE.  I don't know why they don't fix that... 
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I've only has my egg 4 months now, the gasket is looking a bit worn, but not bad. I've had it as high as 750º on the dome and done pizza between 580º and 620º without issue.

After much research and reading here, I have chosen to replace with the Rutland and Permatex Ultra copper, which I have waiting to go on ... hopefully not until spring!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    Nomex is the best. There is also a good video on youtube made by the guy who owns freds music and bbq that I followed for the install of my nomex gasket. It was easy and informative.
  • Prainey
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, this is a great forum.