Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mold

Options
garwig
garwig Posts: 17
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am embarrassed to say it, but it has been several months since cooking on the Egg.  I raised the lid a few minutes ago and the entire inside is covered with mold as well as the cast iron grate.  What is the best solution to cleaning it up and get back to cooking again?

Comments

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    High temp burn off.  Open vents all the way and let it burn at high temps for 30-45 mins.  The mold will burn off.  It happens.  No biggie.

Then cook on it as usual.
  • born2smoke
    Options
    High temp burn off.  Open vents all the way and let it burn at high temps for 30-45 mins.  The mold will burn off.  It happens.  No biggie.

Then cook on it as usual.
    Do you mean just let 'er rip with the vent and dome open for 45 min? or hold it at a high temp, say 700 for 30-45 min?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've done 500* plus for two hours or more to get rid of mold in the past. When it get in there I want to make sure its gone for good.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

No point in frying the gasket just to burn off the mold.  I would scrape off the mold and then remove, fire up a managable fire around 450 and let if cook for an hour or so.  It will be fine.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA