Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of a Small

Options
Mawger
Mawger Posts: 40
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Wondering if anyone on here travels with their small Egg?  We go south for the winter and

would like to have an Egg with us.  Is it so heavy that a fellow could not tote it around?

We have the large at home and find it difficult to think of cooking outside with an Egg.

Thanks for your input.

Sandy

Comments

• Mawger
    Options

Looked at the mini, but you can't get a plate setter that size.  So no slow cookin...We'd like

to be able to do a rack of ribs or a chicken.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If you take the fire box and fire ring out of the small its not very heavy. I take mine camping all the time when we have a group. I can lift it easily by myself and carry it around. Wouldn't guess its much over 50 pounds.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I move our small around all the time.  Camping, cookouts etc.  Just lift the little guy out of his nest, load him up and go.  I don't even bother removing the internal parts as it's not that heavy with them installed.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mawger
    Options

Appreciate your information so much.  Will definately be a 4 egg family.  Both sons have one and we will have two.  I bet we will use the small more than the large one.  There is typically just two of us that we cook for.

Sandy

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    My wife and I have two larges and a small.  The small was the last addition and it now does 75% of our cooking (mostly grilling).  One word of advice, order the High-Que fire grate for your new small.  It really helps improve airflow in the little guy and you can reach higher temps than with the standard grate.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mawger
    Options

Not heard of the High Que grate. Guess I better do some research on that.  Thanks for this info.

Sandy

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

Looked at the mini, but you can't get a plate setter that size. 

I was able to get a SET of plate setters for the mini at Amazon!   :))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Get the Mini Woo from http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/contact-us.html (Tom) and the stones from Amazon and you are set for indirect slow or PIZZA.....
    Have a Large / Small  / Mini and just the two of us.

The Mini gets the used the most followed by the Large then the Small.The Mini is easy to toss in the car to  take. More so than the Small.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mawger
    Options

Mickey have you done a low and slow cook on the Small?  Just wondering if it is possible to do an overnight on this size.  We did get one yesterday and were able to put two strips, two tates and two slices of bread on it.  PERFECT!  We didn't get the nest for it tho, think we are having our son make us a smaller more portable one. I appreciate your info and will be checking out Amazon for the Mini Woo.

Sandy

• gamera06
    Options
    I got a mini + large and bought the Mini Woo & Amazon pizza stone as well. I didn't do overnight cook but indirect is really easy. I didn't try pizza yet but will do this week.

Just check that your mini got a 10" grille and not the old 9.5" grille otherwise the mini-woo wont fit at all.
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • Mickey
    Options

Mawger the stones only from Amazon and the Mini Woo from Tom at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

DO pizza never overnight but several do.

As said you must have a 10" as teh 9.5 will not fit.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Mickey have you done a low and slow cook on the Small?  Just wondering if it is possible to do an overnight on this size.  We did get one yesterday and were able to put two strips, two tates and two slices of bread on it.  PERFECT!  We didn't get the nest for it tho, think we are having our son make us a smaller more portable one. I appreciate your info and will be checking out Amazon for the Mini Woo.

Sandy

I have done (2) 8 pound shoulders on the small overnight before. I have a small and a mini and love them both but the small is more versatile. I have a plate setter for the small and the woo with the BGE pizza stone. I would suggest getting the woo and the pizza stone over the plate setter since the woo will allow you to do raised and indirect cooking but the combo is more expensive. The small eggs diameter isn't very wide so it's kind of a pain to flip food when you are cooking down on the fire ring and the woo solves that.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2011
    Options
    @Mawger,
    I have a small and a mini.  The longest cook I have done an "overday" on the small.... about an 8 hour cook.  The small held temp and rocked along 225.  Never had to do an adjustment to the vents once set.  I have never done an "overnight" on the small
     I have done pork country ribs (the really thick cut ones) indirect on the mini at 250 for about 4 hours and they turned out great.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Options
    Lit on the small I use Chubby's GrateMate system and the ring if doing indirect (have a small platesetter but never use it).